Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
mrscross78
Hatchling

Default Feeding torts weeds v shop bought greens.

Hello, I try to feed my tortoises as many edible weeds as I can by growing them in pots in the window. The problem for me is I can't seem to maintain as much as they need (And apart from Dandilion leaves I really can't identify plants so I can't go out and find them. Anyway they would all be peed on by dogs etc) so I very often use shop bought leaves; which my little guys seem to love and very occaisionally I use Komodo pellets. I dust all the leaves with nutrobal or calcium dust pretty much every day. My Question is why are edible weeds so much more recommended than shop bought greens if they are dusted with vitamins? Also I feel a little bit of a failure feeding them the shop bought greens but as I said I do sprinkle a little pinch of Nutrobal so isnt this OK?

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia

Last edited by mrscross78; 09-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

shop bought greens from the brassica family are high in oxalates and other stuff that I can't remember. salad greens i.e. lettuce, is about 95% water. hardly any goodness in it at all and no fibre either.

none of us were able to identify weeds other than dandelion to start with. as I keep saying, it doesn't have to be weeds, there are loads of plants that you can buy that have the names on them, particularly from garden centres.

feeding just shop bought greens alone could lead to ill health but some people supplement that with pellets 2 or three days a week
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
mrscross78
Hatchling

Oh i never knew that. I feed them shop bought greens about 3 times a week sometimes more (I never use iceberg lettuce) other than that I use the weeds I grow, pansies and dandilions from the garden, and sometimes Komodo pellets... Is this OK or do i really need to reduce the salad greens further? Is Komodo pellets better to use than salad leaves?
Thanks

Amelia

Last edited by mrscross78; 09-04-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
mrscross78
Hatchling

What edible plants could I buy from a Garden center?

Amelia
Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
Oh i never knew that. I feed them shop bought greens about 3 times a week sometimes more (I never use iceberg lettuce) other than that I use the weeds I grow, pansies and dandilions from the garden, and sometimes Komodo pellets... Is this OK or do i really need to reduce the salad greens further? Is Komodo pellets better to use than salad leaves?
Thanks
it's a matter of opinion and there are some people who will say you should feed neither of them. it's a bit dodgy to feed pellets every day I think if you don't know what you are doing, in the summer I don't feed any pellets. They have more nutrition than salad since it is a 'complete diet' including D3 and calcium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
What edible plants could I buy from a Garden center?
Aubrieta
Petunia
Campanula (I have 7 types)
Nastrurtium
Pansy
Viola
Phlox
Forget-Me-Not
Hollyhock
Calendula
Cornflowers
Cranesbill
Californian Poppy (not ordinary poppy)
Armeria (AKA Thrift)
Lavatera
Honeysuckle (flowers only)
Opuntia cactus
Aloe Vera
Aloe Aristata

Can't think of any others at the moment but there's far more. Not all torts will eat all these
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
MiShelley
Hatchling

I got some plants for my flowerbeds from the garden centre the other day; I got phlox, pansies, sempervivum, majoram, lavender and nasturtium, I'm pretty sure all of them are edible for torts
MiShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
kezia911
Hatched

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp

the above website is very good for identifying edible plants
kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
mrscross78
Hatchling

[QUOTE] it's a matter of opinion and there are some people who will say you should feed neither of them. it's a bit dodgy to feed pellets every day I think if you don't know what you are doing, in the summer I don't feed any pellets. They have more nutrition than salad since it is a 'complete diet' including D3 and calcium

I didn't mean feeding pellets every day but just as a top up (when I am not using weeds) instead of salad leaves.
That list of palnts will come in handy, I shall take it to the Garden center and see what I can buy. I'll get there in the end. Thanks Alan.

Amelia

Last edited by mrscross78; 09-04-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
MiShelley
Hatchling

Oooo, roses, spider plants and hibiscus are nice ones to have around and they're all edible as well!
MiShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
mrscross78
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiShelley View Post
Oooo, roses, spider plants and hibiscus are nice ones to have around and they're all edible as well!
Roses..? Well I never would have expected that to be edible, cool. I do actually have a baby spider plant in their enclosure but it's too small yet to be nibbled.

Amelia

Tags
feeding, greens, weeds