Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Old 30-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
lesley hogg
Egg

Default privacy problem

Hi Can anyone help please I have on been on this site a couple of weeks
and have come on in my name.
and i have just discovered that one of my clients put my name into Google today and this brought up this site and because this clients know i keep Tortiose's have been reading my post
now you my think i am being silly but i do not want my clients reading thinks i write in my private life which is why i am not on facebook ect
so can any one please tell me can i change my name i see lots of people use a nick name or just a first name and if so how do i do this and will it stop this problem please note will not be check this site again until monday i do not use the internet at home
thanks for your help Les
lesley hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

PM an administrator, and they will be able to change your username for you, I had a silly name at the start and had mine changed!
Old 30-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

I think anything you do or write on the web can be found by putting your name into search, it doesn't matter whether it your real name or your chosen one if someone knows it it will show everywhere you've been talking. Thats how people including the police find out what you've been doing and I don't think there's a lot you can do apart from never telling what name you're under but even then anyone who's on a forum can do a search, if that makes sense.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareN View Post
PM an administrator, and they will be able to change your username for you, I had a silly name at the start and had mine changed!
I agree with Clare ... any of the Administrators will help you and understand. Just send them a PM
Old 30-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it's best never to use your full name on the internet because just from reading posts over a period of time anyone could discover where you live and therefore at the very least your torts can be at risk of theft.. never mind identity fraud. Anyone who is on Facebook should be aware of this also, give your full name on there and announce you keep torts and potential thieves will know where to get them
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
pagan queen
Adult

The only problem with changing your name is that it will chenge youur name on all of your previouse posts. So anyone who has read your posts will know the title of the topic and be able to find out your new name and carry on reading.

The best way is to make a new profile, maybe admin can help you with that.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

That's why its best to use an undercover name! - although I use a male name on another forum and of course everyone assumes I'm a man!!!!

If you don't use the internet at home, and only during the day - I imagine that your place of work can read all your posts also.
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Box girl
Sub Adult

I ma surprised at this as I am on facebook did a search of myself and came up with soemone completely different. I alos did a search on google and came up with nothing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
it's best never to use your full name on the internet because just from reading posts over a period of time anyone could discover where you live and therefore at the very least your torts can be at risk of theft.. never mind identity fraud. Anyone who is on Facebook should be aware of this also, give your full name on there and announce you keep torts and potential thieves will know where to get them

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
I ma surprised at this as I am on facebook did a search of myself and came up with soemone completely different. I alos did a search on google and came up with nothing!
maybe you have your settings set to private? many people don't but a thief would stumble upon it anyway, they wouldn't search for a person's name. they would find tort groups and then be able to see all those linked to them and by doing a little reading would soon be able to find the area or town people live, look up the online phonebook and find the addresses. Once they have that they can even see your exact garden layout - routes in and out thanks to google earth/google maps

Last edited by Alan1; 31-07-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
linda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley hogg View Post
Hi Can anyone help please I have on been on this site a couple of weeks
and have come on in my name.
and i have just discovered that one of my clients put my name into Google today and this brought up this site and because this clients know i keep Tortiose's have been reading my post
now you my think i am being silly but i do not want my clients reading thinks i write in my private life which is why i am not on facebook ect
so can any one please tell me can i change my name i see lots of people use a nick name or just a first name and if so how do i do this and will it stop this problem please note will not be check this site again until monday i do not use the internet at home
thanks for your help Les

you have 2 options

you can change your use name
pm 1 of the mods or admin
however all your old posts will change to your new user name

you can start all over again
with a new user name and different email address

then we could remove all your lesley hogg posts if you want

let us know what you would like to do
linda is offline   Reply With Quote