Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Default When and how are you hibernating your torts?

Hi

Just wondered when everyone was going to start to hibernate their torts and how are you going to hibernate them are you going to use the box method, fridge method or let them dig down in a protected area?
Old 18-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

I'm going with fridge, I will only be doing an initial 8 weeks as my tort is a rehomer that has never been hibernated before...once we get to that time I will see how he is doing and poss leave for longer.

I need to start the fasting period as Tegumai is well and truley ready to go to sleep.
I must admit I have been putting this off as his appitite is so enormous, especially as I have fought so hard to stop him being a fussy eater, get him off pellets and onto the good stuff!

Out of all the things I was worried about hibernation... not offering food seems to be my weakness (dont worry guys he wont go down until his tummy is well and truley empty)
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
hobgoblin
Egg

started grissom off already, he has been soooo sluggish last few weeks sometimes not even bothering to get up during the day. we are gonna hibernate him for 6 wks (vets advise) he's currently boxed up in the cupboard under the stairs.
hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Hi

I havent hibernated my 6 yet, I have 4 rehomers, 3 of which have never been hibernated before so I am planning on hibernating them around December time but this will depend on the Jackson ratio firstly.
The youngest 2 will aslo go for hibernation around December time but they will only be for a few weeks as they are juveniles.
My oldest tort will also go around December time, I am planning on using an insulated shed, and then placing them in boxes with chicken wire around.
They will have a heater and thermostat so the temp doesnt drop to low or get to high in there.
Also I will be carefully weighing them weekly so that their weight can be monitored.
Well thats my plan.
Old 18-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
shelley
Hatchling

I hibernate mine in the fridge, and they wont be starting wind down until the middle of next month... Or possiby the end of Nov. At the moment mine are still active, but then I have brought them into my livingroom!

Mum to three Newfoundlands, two Cocker Spaniels, one German Shepherd, 9 Chinchillas, and 4 Hermann's and 2 Leopards... Tortoises that is!

http://pic2.piczo.com/GalaxybearsNewfoundlands
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

The past couple of days mine has become very sluggish. From today on I have stopped feeding Torty and getting him ready for hibernation, scares me to death tho.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
tortoiseboy
Sub Adult

When?
nest year
How?
In a box in the garage
tortoiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Hi

Than ks for your views, I will be weighing mine today and will make a decision in a week or so if they will be hibernated depending on where they are against the Jackson Ratio.
Old 20-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
sandy
Adult

If your tortoises have been winding down, and not eating, please take this into condcideration
when weighing them and using the jackson ratio. As obviously they will have lost weight. As
long as they were/are healthy then you should hibernate them.
I let my adults and some of the smaller tortoises bury down in the soil in my greenhouses, for
hibernation. This has worked sucssesfully for the last five or six years. I do box up any that
dont go down.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Thanks Sandy,

I will let them start winding down from the end of October onwards, they are all inside now and merrily munching away so I cant see them having a weight issue.

Tanya