Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 16-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
nick owen
Egg

Default Sub Species and Temp

I have recently noticed since putting Milly and Mikey in there new enclosure that Mikey seems to be showing typical Tort behaviour in moving too and from hot section to regulate is temp. He is apparently 'hermanni boettgeri' according to a previous post on another forum. Milly pretty much just stays in the basking area apart from when eating - she is the 'hermanni hercegovensis'(a failry new and unknown sub species). She is an inch or so bigger than Mikey which could be down to coincidence rather than her been this sub species but what I was wondering is, could she have different temperature requirements because of this??? I only ask as one interprutation of her always basking could be that she isn't quite hot enough...

I know absolutely nothing about this sub species and I am relatively new to Tort keeping as a whole. I was sold Milly and Mikey as a pair although I've now been told that they may need to be separated due to Milly been one of these sub species. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I was told that someone on hear actually keeps some of these sub species of tortoise and so is pretty knowledgable on the subject. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick.
nick owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
niamherrity
Adult

Default welcome!

Hi nick you will need to put up some pics i can't help you ,but i'm sure someone will
niamherrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Nick,
I do keep T. h. hercegovinensis as do a few people on the forum. They mature at a smaller size and don't get as big as boettgeri. Mine seem to be used to cooler base temperatures then my boettgeri and do bask quite frequently. The subspecies ranges the furthest north of all the hermanni, so would need to bask for longer with all the cooler days that come with being further north. She's probably just doing the behavior she's been programed to do by her environment in the wild.
I have found also that hercegovinensis digs in to the substrate to go to sleep at night, which my boettgeri seldom do.
If you have any other questions Nick just ask

Dan
Old 16-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi NIck, you do need to seperate their table top, a simple divider will suffice, I have done this also with my different sub species of spur thighs and works ok using the same t-rex lamp.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
aprillinda

ade when you say a simple divider

do you mean you divide the table right to its base

or put up a divider that just keps the torts separate

i was thinking about cross contamination via fluid in the substrate

hope this makes sense

thanks linda
Old 16-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Linda, I have my divider on top of the edge of the seed trays so there is no way of the substrate getting cross infected as they are in totally seed trays.

However if you are putting a divider in where the substrate can be got at from both sides of a divider then the divider should go to the bottom of the base of the table top enclosure.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Old 17-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
aprillinda

thanks ade xx

i just wanted to make things a bit clearer

for other people
Old 17-01-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
nick owen
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64
Hi Nick,
I do keep T. h. hercegovinensis as do a few people on the forum. They mature at a smaller size and don't get as big as boettgeri. Mine seem to be used to cooler base temperatures then my boettgeri and do bask quite frequently. The subspecies ranges the furthest north of all the hermanni, so would need to bask for longer with all the cooler days that come with being further north. She's probably just doing the behavior she's been programed to do by her environment in the wild.
I have found also that hercegovinensis digs in to the substrate to go to sleep at night, which my boettgeri seldom do.
If you have any other questions Nick just ask

Dan
Yes! She does dig into the substrate to sleep, I always wondered why. I will get pics up when I get home.
Eire_Ade, do they absolutely need to be separated as they seem to get on so well. Why do they need to be separated? Is it essential?

Thanks again, Nick.
nick owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Hi they need to be seperated due to transfering illnesses between them there is a word for it and i cant remember it at the moment sorry but yes definatly need to be seperated xxx

P.S Welcome to the forum

Nicky xxx
Old 17-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Nick, you should never mix species and subspecies of the same together, each tortoise carry different pathogens which can be passed on by contact.

This also ensures the tortoises remain pure in their type, some hybrids do appear form time to time through ignorant husbandry but really these animals should not be allowed to reproduce, but if they do, any further subsequent eggs should not be incubated from hybrid or mixed species torts.

There may also be damage sustanied as a result of mixing two different species as some have softer shells than others and some are more aggressive than others too, just to mention another problem associated with mixing.

Tortoises do not need company by the way, they live happily on their own.

Hope this helps you come to your decision.

Ade