Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Default Shell rot in red footed tortoise due 2 incorrect environment

Here is my new male, due to being kept very dry and sitting in his own wee. His shell is quite damaged. He is 12 inches long

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Dandelion
Hatched

That looks painful. A good warm bath and a fresh healthy meal would do good. I'm glad his in your hands now.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It looks mostly healed Sarah, just have to watch the outer edges of the plastral scutes. Hard to tell but that might be still healing. I'm glad you have him now.

Danny
Old 11-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I have had him for a while now. So have treated him, he was worse than this.
Thanks for your comments xx

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 11-11-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
linda
Adult

im very pleased he is with you

what is sad about this torts shell is that this was completely avoidable if the correct husbandry had been given by the previous owner
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

Default Re: Shell rot in red footed tortoise due 2 incorrect environ

A common mistake is keeping a species we believe should be kept moist, under too moist conditions without the option of choice. This is really common with redfoots. These animals come from relatively dry areas that have frequent rainfall but the areas are really dry between rainfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Here is my new male, due to being kept very dry and sitting in his own wee. His shell is quite damaged. He is 12 inches long
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 11-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
piglet
Adult

My redfoots are all kept on a moist substrate and never suffer any shell rot at all,

Redfoots cover a huge area most of tropical South America with a huge variation in habitats from dense wet forests to open semi dryish grasslands

Sarah yours shows typical decay caused by siting in amonia soaked substrate

D

17 years old 25 years ago
Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #8
EJ
Adult

Every successfully kept group of redfoots I've ever seen were kept in such a manner that they were regullarly sprayed down but the upper surface of the substrate was always dry on my observation.

I'm willing to bet if you kept the upper substrate constantly moist you not only would get the shell rot pictured but you'd also have a heck of a problem with various tiny bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
My redfoots are all kept on a moist substrate and never suffer any shell rot at all,

Redfoots cover a huge area most of tropical South America with a huge variation in habitats from dense wet forests to open semi dryish grasslands

Sarah yours shows typical decay caused by siting in amonia soaked substrate

D
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
ossypete
Incubating

my baby enclosure has a permanently moist substrate and they thrive in it. Same with my adult group too they are lovely and damp. sarah i think my rehomer male was kept similarly to you as he had some shell rot on his underside like yours but just not as bad. after a few months of tlc and some regular descaling of the dead and decaying keratin he is ok now. looks a bit of a mess but in time i am sure will be ok.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Default Re: Shell rot in red footed tortoise due 2 incorrect environ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
A common mistake is keeping a species we believe should be kept moist, under too moist conditions without the option of choice. This is really common with redfoots. These animals come from relatively dry areas that have frequent rainfall but the areas are really dry between rainfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah
Here we go again so your saying we should not keep red foots moist? yes i understand that they come from a vast area.

This male was a import and the guy who had him before me said, that this rot happened while in his care. They were kept on beech chippings kept dry in a small vivarium.

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Closed Thread