Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
terrypin
Adult

Default Flax as shed substrate

I have been using Hemp as a substrate in my Leopards shed for a number of years now and i think it ticks all the boxes. I have never had any problems with them ingesting it and my Males dont expose their bits in the shed only really outside on the slabs in the summer sun so no problems with the sharp bits on withdrawl as i have heard others mention this as a valid reason not to use hemp with Adults. I have used it with indoor tables for hatchlings and provided they are soaked regularly and provided with 24 hour access to a water bowl. I for one have no problems and found it light and clean to use indoors and can be spot cleaned so not requiring as many changes as soil. My hatchlings only spend a short time on tables during their first two winters what with a short hibernation regardless of age. My problem is I cant get it locally lately and my only alternatives are Graze-on which does the job but needs to be kept dry and this is difficult in the Leopard shed as they do go in and out when it is raining. Graze-on tends to degrade very quickly when damp and will become dusty so not suitable unless it is changed weekly. I have found a product similar to them both this is Flax and is probably going to be fine for the Adults, just i have two hatchlings at the moment and plan hatching again this year so would prefer to use the same product for both since dry storage space is limited here. My question "at last" is, has anyone used this product for either Adults or on tortoise tables particularly for hatchlings and what are your observations. Flax as bedding looks very similar to a very fine dried grass chopped to about the length of hemp. My concerns are they may deliberately eat it and if so is this going to be a problem. Also it does appear sharp not unlike Graze-on.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I've never used it but know it as a bedding used for horses and I'd assume it would be ok, you do though have to check that its had nothing added to it as a lot of horse products have things added to make them smell or taste better. There is at least one product like graze on that has addictives and unless you read the label wouldn't know it, my adult Ibera used to love their graze on bedding but its always worth looking at horse products for bedding/substrates and they are far cheaper to buy than the same thing in a pet shop.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
terrypin
Adult

thanks for the reply there is a choice of two additives one being Eucalyptus cant recall the other. What i was looking at was plain. I may take a chance on it and monitor things closely can always dump it if any problems come up. My concern is i am informed it degrades well which is why i had issues with graze-on. I still am unsure as to any issues should they eat it. At least this is not a problem with Graze-on in fact it would be a bonus.