Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Hart
Egg

Question russian tortoise with eye and diet issues

hi i have had my russian tortoise for best part of a year now and over the past few weeks he hasnt opened his eyes and is refusing to eat anything.

it started with what we believed was an eye infection, this is when we took him to the vets and they gave me some eye drops for him. however they did not have any effect.

he has now got both eyes closed and is not eating anything.

i believed it might be due to a coil bulb which was providing his uv and uvb light. as he had read that this can affect young tortoises eyes and he is only a year old.
so i have ordered a new mbv light for his vivarium and made sure the temperature is in between 30 and 40 degrees C throughout the day and have the windows open so he can get as much natural light as possible until his new lighting arrives. but i am unsure why he isnt eating anything. does anyone know what might have caused him not to eat.

his diet did consist of leafy greens and a spring mix. i gave him pieces of cucumber once a week and maybe once a month he would be allowed a fruit such as a blueberry or strawberry.

he gets bathed every other day for at least 15 minuets.

his substrate is a form of cat litter which is appropriate for reptiles and is cleaned out as soon as needed.
Hart is offline   Reply With Quote