Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
ethelandedna
Incubating

Default Limestone flour???

This little phrase keeps popping up in threads I read about diet.

What is it? Is it necessary? I'm giving Pebble Nutrabol every other day on one meal, all of which he doesn't eat. Is this enough in the supplements department or do I need to get some limestone flour too?

(Vet lady turned her nose up and looked puzzled when I asked her about it).
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

limestone flour is calcium carbonate and can be bought at horse feed suppliers for about a fiver for about 5kg or you can get it from pet shops as calcidust and various other fancy names. it's best to be offered to torts either in a dish or sprinkled on food to help prevent metabolic bone disease through lack of calcium. nutrobal contains a small amount of calcium but if you read the directions on a tub of nutrobal you will see how very little you are supposed to use.

cuttlefish bone is a good source of calcium too, if wetted every second day I find that they will eat it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I use nutrobal and calcidust on alternate days and use a cuttlefish.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
ethelandedna
Incubating

He hasn't shown a great deal of interest in cuttlefish tbh. Have tried soaking it but he's still not bothered. There was one stone we put into his water dish that he loved though. He was trying to bite chunks out of it like me with a kilo of Dairy Milk!

I got a bit concerned that it might not be good for him. Don't really know why? I think my thoughts were it might make his beak sore or it might contain too much of a mineral in it that's not good for him - not knowing what it was. So have left it out.
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

they don't take to cuttlefish bone right away, mine never bothered much with it for about a year but it's best to keep putting it in there, maybe just wet it a couple of times a week if they aren't interested just now. Some foods they don'y take to right away either but get there in the end
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #6
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
they don't take to cuttlefish bone right away, mine never bothered much with it for about a year but it's best to keep putting it in there, maybe just wet it a couple of times a week if they aren't interested just now. Some foods they don'y take to right away either but get there in the end
Mine were the same. Then all of a sudden they started chomping on it.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
kezia911
Hatched

I wondered about the limestone flour too, so thanks for asking!! also, why soak the cuttlefish?
kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezia911 View Post
I wondered about the limestone flour too, so thanks for asking!! also, why soak the cuttlefish?
It is just different method's keeper's use to get them interested in gnawing the bone. I agree having it available is a bonus for a beak wear down, can take a year or two before they are interested, i put cuttle fish bone also in there outside enclosure can become manky when weathered, but they attack it sometimes. Some pet shop's sell a big bag cheap, last's yonk's .
Old 13-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Just a thought in the wild they have been known to gnaw on old weathered bone's, maybe this is a substitute, unless you have some old weathered bone's, my knee play's up sometimes.
Old 14-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
DoodleBopper
Hatchling

Soaking the cuttle fish I think perhaps makes it a bit softer and might make it smell a bit more so they notice it. Mine have just come out of hibernation and are eating it like crazy! I have a few bits in their enclosure. You can also put chalk in their enclosure which they will eat sometimes, it is best to soak that too. Good luck!