Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
kim davies
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kim davies

hi has any one read the papers?police have said that they arent holding out much hope of the little girl alive.so sad that they think this.i know its a possibility that its true but there still might be hope that shes safe and well.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #22
Nickynoodles
Hatched

I think this topic is a real double edged sword On one hand I cannot begin to imagine what the parents' are going through, wondering what is happening to their little girl, but on the other (and sadly) I think they are to blame, what were they thinking, leaving their three very young children alone, even for 1/2 hour stints. You just don't do that, if they were hungry, then one stay with the kids and the other go and bring some food back, its that simple!! - I start work at 4.00am and nothing would be easier than to leave my kids tucked up in a warm bet - but I could and would not ever do it. Reece is nearly 14 and I believe is legally able to be on his own, but he comes and works with me, whilst poor Jay sleeps in the car with a hot water bottle and sleeping bag.

I am cross also as I feel that because these people are professionals (ie doctors) they have not really been criticized for their total lack of sense - If this was a single mother that left the children I KNOW the papers and most other people would have had a completely different view

1.0.0 Testudo Hermanni
Nickynoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM   #23
yakface77
Hatched

I start work at 4.00am and nothing would be easier than to leave my kids tucked up in a warm bet - but I could and would not ever do it. Reece is nearly 14 and I believe is legally able to be on his own, but he comes and works with me, whilst poor Jay sleeps in the car with a hot water bottle and sleeping bag.

Hi Nicky,
My point in the posts about not blaming the parents to harshly is hopefully backed up by your statement above. It suggests that you leave 'poor jaysleeping in the car with a hot water bottle and sleeping bag'.
So are you constantly supervising the car and Jay whilst you are working ? I dont know what job you do, but im sure it wouldnt allow you to stand by your car watching your son the whole time ?? Or have i got this wrong

Im suggesting that we all are guilty of taking our eyes of our kids at some time, ebven if its for a few seconds !
Remember James Bulger ?? A few seconds of loosing sight of him by his mum allowed 2 teens to abduct him.

Can you honestly say you dont take your eyes of the kids ?
1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #24
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

This is a very controversial debate!
Most people wouldnt leave their young kids for 30 mins at a time!
Maybe we all are guilty of letting our guards down for a while, but I would never leave mine in an apartment, or anywhere else in fact for any length of time. There again, i know that if someone is that determined to get to them then they will do it anyway, look at the little girl in the bath last year! Her mum was in the next room!
I can also imagine what the stories would have been like, if it was a single parent and not a professional couple who this had happened to!
I've heard that Portuguese police are considering pressing charges against the parents for leaving the kids, surely they have better things to be getting on with, like looking for Maddie.
This story has really touched me, hope she is found soon!

Wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #25
yakface77
Hatched

Hi Wendy,
This story has touched so many of us. My Daughter is also 3 and is blonde and is our little princess. I just get so annoyed though that people have to 'Blame' the parents. Lets blame the abductor/s ! Even with Maddies parents home in the appartment, whos to say that she wouldnt have still been taken ? No one heard them break through the shutters in the resort, so whats to say it was a silent break in? Those parents are going through unimaginable feelings. My wife and i were talking last night and said how would they cope ? They must just be believeing they will see her again, and that the people or person who took her is looking after her well and have taken her as they want their own child. You cant consider anyother reasons It would absolutely break them.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

There,s a big difference between taking you eyes off them and deliberately knowingly leaving them on their own, we have all lost them accidentley or left them in the other room etc but not many of us plan to go out and deliberately leave them certainly not that young for however long, however local to them you maybe, I could never forgive myself it I did that and the worst happened what if one had hurt themselves, woke up and gone looking for mum & dad, the possibilities are endless, so sorry although I sympathise with the parents and its a terrible thing that has happened but they are going to have to live with that guilt for the rest of their lives if she,s not found and if it had happened in this country we all know its ilegal to go out and leave your children and can result in prosecution and even the children being taken into care, we choose to have them we can,t switch of responsibilty because we want to go out dancing, to the pub or a meal.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
Nickynoodles
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakface77
I start work at 4.00am and nothing would be easier than to leave my kids tucked up in a warm bet - but I could and would not ever do it. Reece is nearly 14 and I believe is legally able to be on his own, but he comes and works with me, whilst poor Jay sleeps in the car with a hot water bottle and sleeping bag.

Hi Nicky,
My point in the posts about not blaming the parents to harshly is hopefully backed up by your statement above. It suggests that you leave 'poor jaysleeping in the car with a hot water bottle and sleeping bag'.
So are you constantly supervising the car and Jay whilst you are working ? I dont know what job you do, but im sure it wouldnt allow you to stand by your car watching your son the whole time ?? Or have i got this wrong

Im suggesting that we all are guilty of taking our eyes of our kids at some time, ebven if its for a few seconds !
Remember James Bulger ?? A few seconds of loosing sight of him by his mum allowed 2 teens to abduct him.

Can you honestly say you dont take your eyes of the kids ?
I park my car in a secure yard and am around the car the whole time (never away) - I work on our farm in the middle of nowhere rearing calves - I can honestly say that no one even knows where the farm is, its that remote - and yes, I can see where you are coming from. But can you say honestly, that these parents did nothing wrong??? - they did not take their eyes off them for a few seconds - it was for half hour stints - and I am not talking older teenagers like mine, I am talking toddlers.
I agree with others in the fact that these people are going to have to live with this for the rest of their lives - my mum said to me this morning "if this had happened to you, all I can say is you had better not come home" - she would kill me!!!!
I am also not saying that if they were in the house she may still have been taken, but it would have been A LOT less likely.
Everyone is entitled to their view (democracy and all that) and I am afraid in all honesty I am angry that this poor little mite has suffered from what I think COULD have been avoided

1.0.0 Testudo Hermanni
Nickynoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #28
Pussygalore
Adult

if she had been taken whilst your back was turned or someone came into your house while you were there or even losing them in the street or on the beach that is accidently and no one is to blame but these parents planned a meal got dressed up and went out leaving very young children by themselves as a policeman you should know that is ilegal and which ever way you look at it they knowingley left those children, planned and on purpose in my eyes and a lot of others that is not acceptable behaviour for any parent , nicky takes her child to the farm with her she could leave him/her at home but knows its wrong, she is not taking it to a public car park or road side, she is being a responsible parent who is trying to run a farm there is no comparison.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #29
Lyn
Adult

I agree with you. Whenever we go away on a family holiday we stay together as a family and we decide what we are going to do (when to eat etc...) around the kids. I would never have personally left them. I wouldn't do it here so why do it on holiday?
I really hope she is found soon. I cannot imagine how they must be feeling right now.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #30
yakface77
Hatched

Hi Nicky,
Yep, i aggree half hour stints seem very relaxed, you are right and i aggree this was obviously wrong. I hate to judge people but we cant all claim to be vigilant 24/7, some of us have different views and opinions on what is responsible etc.
If they couldnt see the apartment clearly from where they were sitting, then alarm bells should have started to ring !

They obviously were lulled into a false sense of security by the place, no where is 100% safe, there is always a chance someone will take days,weeks months to carefully pick the moment.