Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 29-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #201
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

In answer to Paul's question (a little late ) I'm not sure the status in the rest of the country. I know there are plenty of them out there and no "rescue" that I know of is open to the public. A sanctuary would most likely be classified as a zoo over here as it was open to the public and wouldn't have been able to open to the public in the first place without the required permits and licenses. But it seems the many rescues do just fine with not being open to the public. They usually charge a fee for an animal to be "dropped off" with them as well as doing fund raisers during the year. I know in my state that rescues are licensed and can't be open to the public. Also in my state you can "rescue" reptiles without a license as long as you don't except any money.

Danny
Old 29-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #202
Pussygalore
Adult

Beaver World in kent sounds like some of yours, they make a charge to take in reptiles etc and also a charge/donation when they are rehomed, the only animals that stay would have problems so couldn't be rehomed. Stella who owns it takes in a lot of reptiles through the RSPCA and the airport seizures but if she didn't rehome she'd very soon not have any space, we've had two cockatiels from her before and there is a suggested donation fee per bird/animal, there's also a small charge to get in, a small cafe and most of the staff are voluteers with just a couple of paid. The place runs on a tight budget and it took years to fundraise for the new education building but it manages and I'd imagine she'd have to have a zoo lisence as she displays the permanent residents.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #203
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Beaver World in kent sounds like some of yours, they make a charge to take in reptiles etc and also a charge/donation when they are rehomed, the only animals that stay would have problems so couldn't be rehomed. Stella who owns it takes in a lot of reptiles through the RSPCA and the airport seizures but if she didn't rehome she'd very soon not have any space, we've had two cockatiels from her before and there is a suggested donation fee per bird/animal, there's also a small charge to get in, a small cafe and most of the staff are voluteers with just a couple of paid. The place runs on a tight budget and it took years to fundraise for the new education building but it manages and I'd imagine she'd have to have a zoo lisence as she displays the permanent residents.
Beaver waterworld, has quite a range of animals exhibited, which includes Meerkats, Ringtailed Lemurs, and various crocodilians, birds and other mammals.
She certainly does have a Zoo licence, and I suspect, that her method of operation probably qualifies as a zoo in most respects! For many years, she had a very large American Alligator which drew good numbers of paying public.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote