Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 25-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjstar1 View Post
Ok so this is my setup as you can see ive got 3 160watt Arcadia d3 bulbs on the go do you guys see anything I could improve on thanks matt

Hi Matt

sorry I haven't posted a single photo since photobucket spoiled my fun. I know there are other ways but I haven't got around to it!

It's just my opinion based on my tinkering but I'd suggest that your set-up could be improved by using tubes but this would mean taking out the combi lamps. I'd say your set-up could do with being a little brighter and tubes are very good at doing this.

Some Arcadia 12% desert+ tubes fitted lengthways at an angle with the lower end near the heat source would work well here I'm thinking. Instead of combi bulbs you could fit halogens. As far as I know, the typical par 38 halogen with built-in reflector like this
https://www.homebase.co.uk/search/pr...directFrom=Any

is normally available in E27 80 to 120 watt versions. These are great for providing heat and can be using on a dimming stat if needed. Or just hang them at the right height which is what you must be doing with the combis.

If you fit T5 tubes you can hang them by their own wire. The tube and reflector is VERY light and it doesn't get at all hot. The reflectors are well worth having as they greatly boost light levels under the tubes. The light under a T5 is very bright and we're told not to look into it directly. But tortoises can easily handle it. If the tube is hung at an angle then obvs one end of your enclosure is not as bright, has less uv and that's your cooler end.

My belief is that when tortoises are in sheds or in the human house (which is what I do) we have to provide lots of light. I use LEDs as well as the T5 tube to provide more light.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arc...ngle-dawn-led/

The LEDs of course don't have any uv, it's just light. In my indoors set-up I don't have everything on at the same time except for a while in the middle of the day. I use timers to switch the gadgets on and off in an effort to make it a bit more natural. The halogens are not providing much light, it's mainly heat. Some keepers would say I'm taking it too far using these LEDs as well. But the fact is that in the mediteranean countries the light is very bright. When I'm there I seem to need sunglasses on 12 hours a day if I'm outside.

Your hides look like they might be the very same roofing tiles that I've got.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 25-03-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote