Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 20-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
sandy
Adult

Default All torts and boxies up

Well it must be warming up, as all my tortoises are up and eating. Boxies a little slower, but are up and about.
I must say it does not really feel that warm, but the soil must be warming:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

They must know what they are doing as I went out to look at mine in the greenhouse at 7 this morning and two were digging nest holes.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
They must know what they are doing as I went out to look at mine in the greenhouse at 7 this morning and two were digging nest holes.
I have had to seperate the male from the females, as he wanted to start mating within hours of getting up:0)
Not had the nesting yet, but they have only been up a couple of days:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Yvonne G
Hatched

I noticed quite a few of the box turtles out and about yesterday. The nights here have been consistently in the 50sF. I guess that's their trigger. Time to clean out the waterers and start thinking about feeding them.
Old 21-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Mine are in full swing too. They were both up and out during that mild spell near the end of Feb but it then got colder and they went back down again. It was warm here yesterday, 20c on my car thermometer which is warm for us
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
mattjstar1
Hatchling

Had mine out for the first time this year and you really can tell how they prefer to be outside looking forward to warmer times x
mattjstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

yes mine are all up and even tempted to leave outside over night as temps are around 10 to 12 here.

I love reading Yvonne and Alan as two extremes. I am not keen on this in between times as never too sure to leave them to it or keep them indoors and heat up - my girlie Horsfields stay out unheated greenhouse and would hate it if they were in tables, they never have been ,CB
Old 23-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
yes mine are all up and even tempted to leave outside over night as temps are around 10 to 12 here.

I love reading Yvonne and Alan as two extremes. I am not keen on this in between times as never too sure to leave them to it or keep them indoors and heat up - my girlie Horsfields stay out unheated greenhouse and would hate it if they were in tables, they never have been ,CB
In the fall I gather up my Russians (1.3) and place them in a cinderblock "house" full of dried leaves. They brumate in there - dry and safe from freezing. Last week I propped open the lid and saw all of them on top of the leaves. It really hasn't been all that warm here, but I guess it's warm enough for them, because when I put some food down they ate it.

Next I'll gather them up and soak them for a half hour or so, then put them back out into their yard. I'm in no hurry to do this because we're still getting rainy days. Their yard is so overgrown that once I put them back in there I'll not be able to find them for a month or so until the weeds have been trampled down or eaten.

The box turtles brumate in their yards, so when the spirit moves them they just come out and start their lives again all on their own. My box turtle yards are built on a slight slope and I've made sure they all brumate on the high end of the slope. There are three-toe, luteola (western ornate), ornate, florida, eastern and gulf coast. I'd love to post pictures of my turtle yards, but I'm not allowed attachments and I don't use photo hosting.
Old 25-03-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

it would lovely to see them all. wonderful descriptive Yvonne. I wonder what sort of weeds you have over there ? is it arid or quite lush? CB