Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 12-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
jimothy
Egg

Default Heritage D3 lamps

So I was browsing for new bulbs. I usually buy arcadia brand but these 'Heritage' brand bulbs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heritage-Na...073H9Q8ZY?th=1) are about half the price.

The only thing putting me off is one review that shows a picture of it exploding!

Anyone have any positive or negative reviews?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heritage-Na...073H9Q8ZY?th=1
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Ive never tried them Jimothy. To be honest the picture of the blown bulb that then went on fire strikes fear in me & turned me straight off.

I was going to say.. If you have a solarmeter, it would be interesting to check what UV it produces. A lot of Chinese bulbs on ebay /amazon have: UV stamped on them, but are in fact fakes
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I would leave it alone. Change to tubes and a heat lamp so much better as the tube will last longer and give off more light and uv in the long run.
Also with having a heat bulb you can set it up to a dimming stat which you cant with an all in one bulb.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

Gordon hiw do you use dimming stats with adult torts?
Probably a really thick question!!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
jimothy
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I would leave it alone. Change to tubes and a heat lamp so much better as the tube will last longer and give off more light and uv in the long run.
Also with having a heat bulb you can set it up to a dimming stat which you cant with an all in one bulb.
Thanks for the suggestion - I looked into it when I first set up but is seemed like it would be more complicated.

So you recommend to have the heat lamp on a timer, or a thermostatic controller or both? How many hours a day would the heat lamp stay on for?

And the UV tube would just be on for daylight hours so the tube and heat lamp would need to be on different timers/controllers?
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

You can put it on a timer as saves you turning it on and off. Mine are on for about 12 hrs a day.
As for the dimming stat it just needs connecting to your heat source which can be a bulb or a ceramic heat emitter and set at 32ish and then if your room is warm it will adjust accordingly.
As for the tube that's easy to set up I think it needs to be about 18 inches from your tort so you will need to get a tube and a starter for it which is a cost but will soon pay for itself as the tube will not blow like all in one bulbs and last about a year I write the date on mine so if your tort goes out in the summer in theory will do 18 months as you wont use it over the summer.
Hope this make sense.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

just a reminder don't use dimmer on D3 combined ! the element will blow.

Lynne they are the older style lamps onto a dimmer with thermo probe....heat hits the thermo probe set to a temperature and then switches the heat off....soz if now I am being dim.....mer....! CB

Tags
bulb, lamp, uva, uvb