Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 04-01-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
mich
Incubating

Default Albino red/whitefoot hatchlings

Now i found these pics on another site! But well worth a posting here amoungst so many Redfoot keepers.

Mich

mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

hi mich, thnx for the photos, iv also seen this on another site too a good while back now, as beautiful as they are i think the breeder of these is cruel, as this can cause so many un call for complications
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Yes I have seen a tortoise like this before. Beautiful though they are I have to agree with Linz.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
wizzasmum

Me too - I find the del;berate breeding of genetic mutants abhorrant
Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
mich
Incubating

HI,

Have I missed something? I posted these pic's because they are worth seeing!!!

Albino's are part of nature and can been seen in nearly every breed of animal on the planet!

Breeding of albino animals is very common place in all types of pet wether you like it or not.

Mich
mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Very unusual thanks the for the pictures. Many people are unaware that there are albino tortoises. Not sure if there are any in the UK.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Kate
Incubating

I purposely breed many genetic mutants every year and there's no difference to breeding completely standard individuals.

There are some creatures god put on this earth that I perhaps would not encourage breeding from due to complications (such as snakes without scales that are naturally occuring for fear of skin damage, or albino iguanas that can go blind due to the daily UV they need) but for the vast majority all that is different is a simple colour gene - just as within the human race.

I had no idea that albino tortoises had been produced so thank you for posting this! Are there any known complications with this change? Any scietific papers you could point me towards?
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
wizzasmum

As many tortoises have high uvb requirements I would have thought the problems were obvious. There are also ethical concerns for deliberately breeding mutants. Albino hedgehogs, snakes, cats etc all have their fari share of health problems from day one and most veterinary sosgeons strongly advise that such animals are either neutered or kept well away from others of greeding age.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Kate
Incubating

Unfortunately though the statement was too general against all these 'mutants', and though in this case it may be detrimental to be an albino red foot it can not be said for all species.
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
wizzasmum

Well in actual fact I would have said the reverse. Of all the torts the tropical species (not breeds) actually need less uvb than others. Albino sulcata's amd leopards for instance would be far more compromised. I cannot see any positive reasons for deliberately breeding albino anything though other than for the extremely dodgy 'pleasure' of the owners Maybe people are just not aware of the uselesness of this practice, but you only need to be aware of what a human albino endures through his or her lifetime to see how pointless the practise is. It frankly makes me very sad for the animal