Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Fred123
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiShelley View Post
I have 3 cats and none of them have ever bothered my torts!
No thats because they are probably busy crapping in nextdoors garden, haha. Sorry I couldnt resist, I'm sure your cats are lovely.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
amph55
Egg

I have lived in three different homes in the last 12 years and each time cats are curious but eventually they get put off even though I bath our tort quite often. When I took him on holiday the cat walked on the garden wall with his nose high in the air. At the last house the owner was breeding cats and they all avoided Trot. At the first house our tortoise went round a bush with one and the cat came out first. Can't wait to see what happens next door at this home as the two terrible mousers have nt been let out on the world yet. Amph
amph55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
_simon_
Incubating

I've attached these to the top of my outdoor enclosure. A not so lethal version of carpet grippers

http://www.primrose.co.uk/fence-and-...rip-p-365.html
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
scapula
Incubating

Water pistols with a good range!! Toys R us is the place to go..
Excellent fun and really works!
scapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by _simon_ View Post
I've attached these to the top of my outdoor enclosure. A not so lethal version of carpet grippers

http://www.primrose.co.uk/fence-and-...rip-p-365.html

They look good...so these are legal then? If they are then i might get some for one side of my fence as i also have nesting Blue tits in my garden that come back every year, so if i can prevent cats or even foxes from coming into my garden with something that is harmless then i would do it X

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #26
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapula View Post
Water pistols with a good range!! Toys R us is the place to go..
Excellent fun and really works!

Ha ha yes, tried and tested and also works for my dog when she is sniffing around the tortoise enclosures, she hates water and as soon as i even touch the hose she runs......my dog just likes to sniff where the tortoises have walked to clean up their poop after them (not that i let her but have caught her a few times, and the other way round, my juvenile tortoises will munch on dog poop if they came across it, so i have to be very thorough with poop picking....animals are disgusting X

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm all for cats having freedom but not everyone wants them in their garden and those people should have as much right to say no as the cats have to wander. I'd imagine that as a cat is so light on its feet the plastic spikes wouldn't physically hurt it but should deter and would be a lot kinder than many other means, also unless cats are wormed their poop etc would be just as harmfull as a dogs to any animal that eats it and not everyone bothers to worm or care for their animals as they should.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #28
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I'm all for cats having freedom but not everyone wants them in their garden and those people should have as much right to say no as the cats have to wander. I'd imagine that as a cat is so light on its feet the plastic spikes wouldn't physically hurt it but should deter and would be a lot kinder than many other means, also unless cats are wormed their poop etc would be just as harmfull as a dogs to any animal that eats it and not everyone bothers to worm or care for their animals as they should.
Absolutely, all animals have the right to be safe and unharmed. It's not just cat's that can be harmed by the carpet grippers either. Birds, squirrels and other small animals can get injured too. The plastic spikes look a much more friendly option.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #29
RackOfRibs
Egg

My parents had trouble with cats and birds getting into the garden and eating their Koi Carp so my Dad threaded wire threw eye screws around the top of the fence. This meant that birds couldn’t land and that there was an obstacle in the way to stop cats from walking along the fence. They live in the middle of a park surrounded by fields and a housing estate and the time I lived their I don't recall any cats getting in to the garden but they do have dogs that would quite happily eat cats so that may have been a deterent! Worth trying wire though!!!
RackOfRibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #30
_simon_
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
They look good...so these are legal then? If they are then i might get some for one side of my fence as i also have nesting Blue tits in my garden that come back every year, so if i can prevent cats or even foxes from coming into my garden with something that is harmless then i would do it X
Yep completely legal. You can buy them from DIY stores and garden centres, I know B&Q sell them but the cheapest I found were in that link I posted. They look pretty lethal but I've leant on them and didn't draw blood, just had lots of little indentations in my skin. They're designed to be very uncomfortable to walk on. I fitted them to my run because we've had one particular cat spend almost all day and night sitting on it meowing at us through the window that the run is next too. Since fitting them it's barely on the run 5 mins a day tops and when it is you can see how uncomfortable it is. I think at some point it'll just give up and stay off it altogether.

I believe you can also wrap them around trees (need to heat them up first to bend them) to stop animals climbing the trees but I've seen mention of tree collars which might be a better option for those. The RSPB actually recommend the spike strips to keep cats and the like out of the garden and away from birds. (http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/garden...eterrents.aspx) - 4th point down.
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps

Last edited by _simon_; 13-04-2012 at 12:20 AM.
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote