Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
zenloola
Egg

Red face next doors 12 cats, my garden, new torts...

Ok guys, I'm adopting 2 hermanns week after next and my garden has been a barren wasteland for longer than I care to admit.

I'm going to make them an outdoor enclosure (about 3 metres by 2 I think looking at it) and loads of fun stuff to play on but at the moment the woman next door has 12 cats that love nothing more than defecating ALL over my garden. I'm going to put prikka strips up all around the edges of the garden (because I dont like her cats being in there anyway!!) and when I have made the enclosure I'll put chicken wire all over the top etc but I was wondering if anyone knows whether cats do bully torts? and will they possibly try to get in to the enclosure... anyone got any experience with cats and torts and things I should know about first??

ps - dont tell me to tell her to keep them out - trust me I've tried that but she's a bit weird and I'd worry that she would break into the house at night and stab me in my sleep if you know what I mean.
zenloola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
wigwamman
Juvenile

cats will possibly try to play with your torts,if you also provide a heated hut/shed for your animals the cats will be in there if they can!
a good enclosure with a mesh top will keep them out,i have had some success with cat/dog scarer things from wilko.
with 12 cats next door you are in for some fun,good luck
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
PAULMK
Incubating

I keep parrots and have had loads of trouble with cats on there aviary so 2 weeks ago i got fed up and nailed carpet grippers on top of the fence and gate into my garden,not seen a cat since.
PAULMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
TillyTortoise
Adult

You need a garden house with a good nozzle on it. The cats will be gone in no time.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULMK View Post
I keep parrots and have had loads of trouble with cats on there aviary so 2 weeks ago i got fed up and nailed carpet grippers on top of the fence and gate into my garden,not seen a cat since.
You cruel sod
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
emmajh
Hatched

Carpet gripper fab idea cats come into our garden and have tried to go in hutch but have burnt themselves on the lights so made a hasty exit! They haven't bothered my two torts as they're quite large however we do now have quite a small male so he will be permenantly under the chicken wire (until I've got some carpet gripper!)
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
yuna1971
Adult

I think as long as the enclosure is well protected with a firm wire top, perhaps having the sides built higher?? (which the tort on the ground then would be hard for a cat to reach) then I think you should be fine. Adding hiding places also might 'camoflage' him a bit. Just a few thoughts there...xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
pagan queen
Adult

Just a warning. It is illegal to use anything on fences, gates or anything in your garden that can cause physical injury to people or animals. You could end up in court if anyone hurts themselves on it.

Not to mention how cruel it is to harm animals in this way. They are someone's beloved pet after all, we wouldn't want our animals injured in that way would we?

If a tortoise enclosure is well made and well protected there should be no worries about it being attacked by a cat.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Catwoman63
Adult

When im at home i lift off the mesh cover but the other week i went into the garden to find a cat sitting at the entrance to the juveniles house, they were both tucked up inside fortunately, i put my birds cages outside on nice days and think they initially attracted the cat, so the cat was in its glory watching the birds and waiting to see what comes out of the house.......bleedin cats lol x.

Also i think it is illegal to put any spikes on fences, otherwise i would have done that definately x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Fred123
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Just a warning. It is illegal to use anything on fences, gates or anything in your garden that can cause physical injury to people or animals. You could end up in court if anyone hurts themselves on it.

Not to mention how cruel it is to harm animals in this way. They are someone's beloved pet after all, we wouldn't want our animals injured in that way would we?

If a tortoise enclosure is well made and well protected there should be no worries about it being attacked by a cat.
Sorry I dont agree, my animals would not dig up expensive plants in someone elses garden, crap in it for their child to pick up or hiss at toddlers as my neighbours eveil cat does. If I could legally do anything I would.

However it is illegal to put anythying like that on your fence so ensure you dont get yourself in any trouble.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote