Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 02-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #21
sandy
Adult

Hi Liam

Tortoises can take water in by drinking, and food intake.
The weight you have given is on the line on the Jackson ratio, so should be ok.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #22
kimbo
Egg

Smile

Hi everyone,

i am after some information on hibernation please. I only got my horsefield last December so have not done it before and am worried about getting it wrong! i have read all about the different methods and i think i will be using the fridge for his hibernation but i do not know when is the best time to put them in hibernation. I was thinking towards the end of this month but don't know if this is too early/late?

I think he is about two/two and a half years old, wieghs 219g and is just under 10 cms long. Is this an ok weight for hibernation?

Any advice would be most appreciated as i want to do the best for him that i can.

Kim
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #23
sandy
Adult

Hi Kim

With a small tortoise who has not hibernated before, you need to keep him/her going until at least the end of November, so that you are winding down through most of December. Then he/she will be asleep during our coldest months of Jan and Feb. For a first hibernation, eight weeks minimum is recommended. If all is ok and they dont loose too much weight, then another two weeks is ok too.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #24
kimbo
Egg

Smile

Hi Sandy,

thanks for your reply, i'll be doing my best to keep him going although i have noticed that he has become slower and less interested in his food lately but i guess thats just to do with the weather changing lately?

thanks, Kim
kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #25
sandy
Adult

My larger tortoises have slowed down too, but I just feed less food, as this also helps to know their stomachs are not too full, when windown starts.
My smaller torts who are indoor are still up and raring to go, but do go to bed earlier, as they sense the days getting shorter.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #26
Lyn
Adult

My two are still very active. They are only 10 months old. I am going to start winding them down at the beginning of december and hibernate them for 8 weeks in january if all goes to plan. The more I read, the more confident I am feeling about things. Thank you Shelled Warriors.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:08 PM   #27
Chris Ralph
Hatched

Hi.
I am already getting worried about hibernation and will have loads of questions!!!
Firstly though-I am going to test my fridge soon and my question is do I test it empty or put the containers that my four torts will be sleeping in, in the fridge whilst checking the stability of the temperatures.
Thanks
Chris
Chris Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #28
sandy
Adult

You can check the temperature with lemonade bottles or the like, filled with water in it. When you put your tortoises in, if you have room you can still leave some bottles in. Which will help stablize the temps in the fridge.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #29
vickyad
Egg

Send a message via MSN to vickyad

im really worried as ive just had my tortoise a couple of months. he is 7 years old. most of the advice is for young torts. when will my 7 yr old hibernate and for how long??
Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #30
Mr Blonde
Egg

I'm there with you guys, my 5 year olds are plodding about in the tortoise table and they have never previously been hibernated, I know I should give it a go for thier sake but all I remember is being a kid putting your tortoise in a box and that was the last time you saw it alive, I know things have moved on, we didn't weigh them or wonder the streets looking for cale and dandelions like we do now but that doesn't take away my anxiety.
I will source more valuable info from the more experienced keepers and give it a try obviously for the shortest time possible I know once I have done it I will be fine the following years. keep the helpfull tips coming in.
Mr Blonde is offline   Reply With Quote