Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
xxsarahxx
Egg

Default new to tortoise keeping

hi i am wanting a hermanni tort i have wanted one for years and would like any help and advise u have i am going tohouse in an indoor rabbit cage to start as i have 2 small children and a dog and am going to make an enclosure outside in the garden what is the best spot in the garden does it need to have sun all day what is the best subsrait to use any help would be great many thanks sarah
xxsarahxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Sarah welcome, it is good to do some homework before you go tort crazy. A good sunny spot is the best, then you can add shade for them, plants, hides even a piece of board on top. Substrate is usually top soil sand mix, 70-30 for meds, and ready grass and a few flat stones can be used. If it is a Horsfield tort they need deeper substrate, they are little JCB's. Hope this helps a bit, have a read in housing for ideas.
Paul
Old 21-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
tortalynuts
Egg

Hi Sarah. If you haven't alraedy got a hutch you might like to consider a tortoise table. I purchased a brilliant one from my local reptile shop. It is very similar to a childrens sand/water table but it has a metal grill type top which fits over the deep tray to protect my torts from rampaging children! There is a metal frame that goes up and across the top which my U.V. and heat bulbs are attached to. I have had it a couple of months now and find it brilliant, particuarly for my little ones as it is on wheels and can just be pushed out into the garden. Hope you find your hermann soon
tortalynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
julieziggy
Egg

hi everyone

i made a table out of a bookcase and found it works great speedi loves it he zooms around all day i just goto change substrate tomorow

tortoise hermann called speedi
beardie called stumpy 6 months old
dog staff called bailey 1 yr
cats danny 15 and puss puss 6
kids katie 10 and jake 4
hubby barry 29
julieziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
a_fisher
Hatched

A tort table would be best if you can keep it up out of the way of your dog, otherwise a indoor rabbit cage is a good option.

I'm not sure if you've read any, but there are some horror stories on here regarding dogs. No matter how well behaved the dog you have to go careful because to them a tort is a little dog chew

Just one I found quickly (don't want to scare you, just something to be aware of)
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ghlight=attack

0.0.2 T.h.b

Last edited by a_fisher; 23-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
a_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
julieziggy
Egg

hi

thanks for that we have fitted wire mesh on top only just found the reply you left and thanks just not very good at this forum stuff yet

tortoise hermann called speedi
beardie called stumpy 6 months old
dog staff called bailey 1 yr
cats danny 15 and puss puss 6
kids katie 10 and jake 4
hubby barry 29
julieziggy is offline   Reply With Quote