Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Chojin
Egg

Default Horsfield help.

Hello,

My name is Anthony and I am looking into getting a tortoise. I intend to have a table setup but after reading many websites and forums I have a few questions I would like to ask.

1) Does the soil/sand have to be 7inches deep to allow digging? Also does this need to be the length and breadth of the table or can it be in selected areas?

2) I hope to have a table 1.5m in length and 80cm wide, is this big enough for a horsfield tortoise?

3) Will a tortoise be happy on its own, or should I look into getting a pair?

4) What is the youngest we could look to own, as I would to raise it from as young as possible.

5) As my table would be custom made, would i be ok to house the tortoise in a smaller area (the size of a underbed storage box or rabbit cage like the nero 4) with all the usual stuff?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope you dont mind.

Thank you very much

Anthony
Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
dugy
Juvenile

soil/sand substrate should really be the leanth of the tortoise and then a few inches more at the least.. the deper you can supply, the better....

what age is the tort? it sounds ok for a small tortoise but keep plans for expansion if it grows!

tortoises in the wild live alone and travel around alone. getting another one is purely benificial for teh keeper. it is a risk though as if the tortoises do not gel then you must be prepared to seperate them... ooo n dont get two males.. they will most likely fight

i'm sure that people will pass on a tort from as young as a few weeks old, as long as they knew that you would give the best care.

i dont understand question 5... too late at night!

i hope this helps.. of course these are my own opinions and i'm sure others may disagree with them!! there is alot of conflicting advice out there!

what do you intend on feeding the tortoise? (please say various types of weeds that you intend on researching asap )
dugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
Lolly8
Adult

Hi and welcome!
1)As I understand you're looking for horsfield.Horsfields do like digging so deeper substrate is the best.6-7 in should be enough in my opinion.
2)Sounds ok.If you have space then it could be even bigger.
3)Tortoises are solitary animals so they will be fine on their own.When babies then they can be kept more than one together but when grown ups then it could be a problem to keep them in peace.
4)Depends on breeder when babies are ready to go to new homes.Babies are pretty young.
5)Underbed storage box is ok as long it's big enough.Same is with rabbit cage.
Babies can live smaller enclosure but you should upgrade bigger one after few years.
I'm not that experienced myself,still learning everyday,so I hope that more experienced people will tell you more.
Old 23-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Hi Anthony and welcome to the forum

The deeper you can have the substrate the better, but it doesn't have to be all the same depth all over the table as Horsfields love to dig

Your table sounds a reasonable size for your tort.

yeah your tort will be fine on his own, Tortoises are naturally solitary animals. Though there are loads of members on here who have more than one, and you will find when you have one, you'll want more , so maybe better to get two together from the same breeder, as otherwise you will have to quaratine them for 18months before putting them together.

Not sure how young you will be able to get a tort, as it is breeders individual views on when they decide to sell them

A few members on here use rabbit cages, so yes one would be ok.

Hope that helps
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
ME SHELL
Adult

haha we all posted together
Old 23-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME SHELL View Post
haha we all posted together
Yeah,
Old 23-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Chojin
Egg

Dugy: question 5 is just about smaller temporary housing until my table is made. but thanks for the other answers anyway.

Lolly and Me Shell, I thank you also.

It has cleared a few things up for me. Now I just need to buy equipment and find a breeder who can deliver to manchester.
Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
ME SHELL
Adult

Good Luck Anthony, tort keeping is very addictive
Old 23-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Dugy: question 5 is just about smaller temporary housing until my table is made. but thanks for the other answers anyway.

Lolly and Me Shell, I thank you also.

It has cleared a few things up for me. Now I just need to buy equipment and find a breeder who can deliver to manchester.
Good luck! If look http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=24007 .Sarah is not that far from you.