Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Hanako
Hatchling

Default My big girl is not eating :(

My big girl is not eating. The last two months her weight has gone down from 1150 grams to just under 900 grams. The last week or two she also stopped drinking. (all my tortoises always have some urate in the water when they are having their bath, drink and wee and she is not producing any urates. Not even a tiny bit. I am giving her bath currently every day but no luck).

I took her to a vet. I requested X rays. She had eggs in November and the last few months she has sometimes been restless, so I was wondering whether she may want to lay some more and it got stuck. It seems that there are no eggs. There also doesn't appear to be any other objects stuck in her digestive system (I thought she may have eaten something and it got stuck). Her lungs seem to be clear too. I will post the X rays if anyone understand what is on the picture and if anything looks out of place.

The vet thinks that everything on the Xrays looks how it should. The vet injected her some liquids (I am worried about her being dehydrated when she doesn't drink). The vet doesn't think that it warrants antibiotics yet because we don't currently know what's wrong with her. He hopes that she may start eating after getting the fluids. I have to admit that I don't believe it myself but we can try.

Does anyone have any advice?

I have tried nebulising and it doesn't seem to be helping. Apart of antibiotics or some force feeding, I can't see anything else that can be done.

Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote