Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 17-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #61
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
How do I respond without looking egocentric?
There must be some movie stars that are egocentric. They probably are pretty cool !
Old 17-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #62
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie Lou View Post
Days later you ask? I didn't mean it literally, that it changes every month. I meant what we're 'told' changes every month. That's all I meant and my comment we belittled, ridiculed and laughed at. Because, you had all taken it out of context. It wasn't disagreeing. It was mocking.

I have no wish to cause any drama here, but I won't be laughed at.
Linnie Lou , can I just say , I'm saying this in a kind voice, because actually I'm an ok sort of person. I think the problem is that you didn't seem to understand that people were not being awful to Ed, I think Jonathan explained at the beginning of this thread, the old timers on here are used to a bit of banter with Ed and he can give as good as he gets, and perhaps you were taking this a bit too seriously ( go back and read from the start of the thread) and you did start to get quite rude, what do you expect to happen, if you start slinging insults at people. I was not mocking , I was disagreeing , I can't say it any planer than that . All I ask is that you go back, read it through again, and think it over, you might come to a different conclusion . This is not meant to be mocking or belittling .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #63
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
How do I respond without looking egocentric?
I'm not sure Ed but without your input on here everyone would be doing it the AH way. He will be right about some stuff but an alternative view is always good. I discovered a new hibernation/brumation method accidentally that I would never have found had I stuck them in the fridge. Basically I did nothing other than put them in a cool room, left them to it and checked on them daily. They came out for a look if the temps went up a couple of degrees and didn't come out if it stayed cold.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #64
EJ
Adult

that threw me back... I thought you were a AH advocate. I wonder how many realize how the hobby changes as each of us soak in the information that many of the others provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I'm not sure Ed but without your input on here everyone would be doing it the AH way. He will be right about some stuff but an alternative view is always good. I discovered a new hibernation/brumation method accidentally that I would never have found had I stuck them in the fridge. Basically I did nothing other than put them in a cool room, left them to it and checked on them daily. They came out for a look if the temps went up a couple of degrees and didn't come out if it stayed cold.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #65
CherryBrandy
Adult

Ive read loads of your posts Ed and masses of others, i agree , always good to have all the views for an informed debate. that's what SW is very good at also. It cant be a bad thing can it.
Old 18-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #66
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
that threw me back... I thought you were a AH advocate. I wonder how many realize how the hobby changes as each of us soak in the information that many of the others provide.
I've nothing against the guy really but people should be wary of following one particular route, we all know how the Rev Jim Jones and his followers ended up
My torts are outside and have access to a wide range of plants that they eat when given to them indoors but outside, they mostly ignore them all when dandelions are available. They tend to eat nothing else. Do they know best.. maybe or maybe not but they most likely know better than Jim Jones However, just in case they maybe don't know best, I give them T-Rex dry formula from time to time which they eat and have always eaten without causing them to look like an Egyptian landscape. When I got those pair aged 2 one had no pyramiding and the other had slight pyramiding and they have grown to adult size without any change to that. The TT is or was against the feeding of pellets (I don't know if that is still the same as I've not read anything for years) so in this case my animals would only be eating dandelion going by their advice yet it was also said that dandelion should only be fed in moderation. I doubt that in the wild tortoises have wi-fi access to check up on Google about what is and isn't good for them.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #67
CherryBrandy
Adult

Maybe not wi fi but they do like Radio 5. My Horsfields have grown up on dandelions for the past 25 odd years, they eat nothing and seriously I mean nothing else unless its an iceberg lettuce. They are lovely, healthy happy energetic little things. There's been so many Jim jones's , was he the welsh one or the American. Nothing against the jones's of course, I liked Casey Jones.
Old 18-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #68
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Maybe not wi fi but they do like Radio 5. My Horsfields have grown up on dandelions for the past 25 odd years, they eat nothing and seriously I mean nothing else unless its an iceberg lettuce. They are lovely, healthy happy energetic little things. There's been so many Jim jones's , was he the welsh one or the American. Nothing against the jones's of course, I liked Casey Jones.
Its very interesting you have said that Claire.They are a hot favourite with most of my torts. But I limit them after warnings of dehydration and oxylates! Which is ashamed as I have a lot of mouths to feed and they are readily available!

Your the 2nd experienced keeper I have heard say they feed them exclusively(@ least all through spring!)
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #69
Stellanne
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Its very interesting you have said that Claire.They are a hot favourite with most of my torts. But I limit them after warnings of dehydration and oxylates! Which is ashamed as I have a lot of mouths to feed and they are readily available!

Your the 2nd experienced keeper I have heard say they feed them exclusively(@ least all through spring!)
It is interesting you are right because dandilion so get a bad press because of the warnings of offering far too many, and also because they tend to grow quickly in the spring I was told there is not much fibre which is also not good. So because of the worry factor I hunt out plantain, which can be described as a 'perfect' tort food, and feed both. My creep always leave the plantain and seek out the dandilion. Plantain is eaten only when it has crisped up in the sun.......which isn't happening much at the moment x x x hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #70
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default Dandelion fever

My thoughts are that tortoises can be like humans in terms of they fall to illnesses that aren't apparent on observation but then the difficulty is ascertaining why they pass on or are ill and its not been obvious. So therefore does it equate to diet? Look at Tannins in Carrot. one of mine woofs it down but I feed in moderation. Dandelions I cant get enough of !

I love dandelions. there is a picture that cost around £125 of just a dandelion clock that I would willingly buy if I could carry it. They look lovely and are something special so little surprise the tortoises love it. What do those flowers taste like to them? Nectar I suspect (not the 4x variety).