Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Suze65
Adult

Default Aestivation

So I think my torts are now technically almost , if not, are aestivating. They have never experienced such a prolonged period of such high temps, except Sammy and Jemima (1976) but I’m sure they don’t remember that! I put them out by about 7am , they eat , then head for their boxes , by 9 am at the latest , then there’s no activity until about 6 or even 7 pm when they eat again, occasionally some have wanted some food around 5ish, but they not eating much either. Quite honestly I’m tempted to aestivate too ! And it’s set to go on for a few more weeks, 29c today, and melting .

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
So I think my torts are now technically almost , if not, are aestivating. They have never experienced such a prolonged period of such high temps, except Sammy and Jemima (1976) but I’m sure they don’t remember that! I put them out by about 7am , they eat , then head for their boxes , by 9 am at the latest , then there’s no activity until about 6 or even 7 pm when they eat again, occasionally some have wanted some food around 5ish, but they not eating much either. Quite honestly I’m tempted to aestivate too ! And it’s set to go on for a few more weeks, 29c today, and melting .
Mine have slowed up outside, but they usually take themselves off mid-morning to late- afternoon anyway. I find by 5-6pm they're back mooching about a little again. Food is still being consumed as much as always! So far, I'm still self-sufficient from the garden and haven't needed to go on a weed walk, but I have resorted to adding romaine this week for extra hydration for them.

It is stuffy, that's for sure. Not much of a breeze here, which makes it uncomfortable. I'm trying not to complain as we're having a summer and last year's was rubbish. I've never known them have so many consecutive days of dry, sunny weather, so it's great for the torts, but the rest of us are sticking to the shade or lying in the hammock and I'm not even walking Chester as it's too hot for him and the paths too warm for his little paws. Since hearing about the dog dying of sunstroke on a 9am walk, Chester only gets a walk early morning (6 am) or late evening.

We're just waiting for the hosepipe ban announcement, especially as our water board supplies so many tourists and is the most expensive in the country. Then it'll be a relay team to water all the baskets and pots and flower borders with watering cans each day!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Talking

My torts seem to be thriving. They do hide for periods of time during the day though. I've not experienced this in Scotland before. Mine stay out overnight in these conditions and it's amazing to see them up and about at 0730 looking for food. It must be because they are not cooling much overnight, so once it's light they are on the move.

My tortoises are exceptionally hungry so when I do see them they come running to see if I've got anything for them. During hot parts of the day they are laying low in shade.

In Scotland we didn't sell off the Water, it's still a public utility. No hosepipe ban here, we are using all the winter and spring water that's in the reservoirs.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
My torts seem to be thriving. They do hide for periods of time during the day though. I've not experienced this in Scotland before. Mine stay out overnight in these conditions and it's amazing to see them up and about at 0730 looking for food. It must be because they are not cooling much overnight, so once it's light they are on the move.

My tortoises are exceptionally hungry so when I do see them they come running to see if I've got anything for them. During hot parts of the day they are laying low in shade.

In Scotland we didn't sell off the Water, it's still a public utility. No hosepipe ban here, we are using all the winter and spring water that's in the reservoirs.
I bet your torts are wondering what all this sun is, Jonathan!

At the moment our reservoirs are about 80% full, but the school holidays start in a few weeks and then we'll see. Mind you, it normally starts to rain when the schools break up. My garden would love some rain!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post

My tortoises are always more hungry in July and August, and I tend to feed them more often than other months. As by the end of August if the weather changes they will eat less and less. So I try to feed them up in July and August:0)
Down here my tortoises are up around six and grazing the grass:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
GemJam
Incubating

I can't remember the last time I brought my little tort inside!

She seems to be loving it, however as with everyone else's she is keeping herself cool and hiding.

I give her fresh water everyday, but haven't given her any additional food. There is a range of campanula, dandelions and other tort friendly plants available for her to eat. This is the first time I've left her outside for a long period, should I be leaving her extra food? At the moment, as I just leave her to graze, I can't monitor what she is eating.

I brought her in today for a bath, to make sure she is hydrated.

1 Hermanns Tortoise - Hettie
GemJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post
I can't remember the last time I brought my little tort inside!

She seems to be loving it, however as with everyone else's she is keeping herself cool and hiding.

I give her fresh water everyday, but haven't given her any additional food. There is a range of campanula, dandelions and other tort friendly plants available for her to eat. This is the first time I've left her outside for a long period, should I be leaving her extra food? At the moment, as I just leave her to graze, I can't monitor what she is eating.

I brought her in today for a bath, to make sure she is hydrated.
Mine are outside all year round. They hibernate in my greenhouse, its heated in the early Spring until the threat of frost has gone. During the day they can come and go as they please. I turn off the heat around the end of April beginning of May depending on the weather. So most of the plants, weeds and grass are well eaten. So I have to supplement with extra food while they grow back. Although in this heat, its not going to easily.
I do tend to give extra food now and again during July and August because of the above:0)
As long as she has food available then she will be fine:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
Suze65
Adult

It’s reeally interesting to hear all your experiences of this unusual hot weather.
Jonathan, your torts must wonder what’s happening, enjoy it while it lasts!

One or two of mine do get up mid afternoon for some food, but others just don’t move again until much later, and are not eating as much , which is unusual. As for grass to graze on, well there’s none left ! But I’m definitely not complaining, it’s so nice to have a Mediterranean summer, for more than two days. I’m sure it won’t last beyond the 24july, school holidays !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Jerry moves out of his coldframe quite early these days and heads for the cover of the Carex.
I have been lightly watering the shrubs and grasses to ensure there's some humidity beneath them.
The weather has taken it's toll on the weeds in the enclosure but I haven't watered them intentionally. They would all die off similarly in the wild and the torts would eat the dry remnants.
That said, I have thrown in some plantain, mallow, hollyhock and campanula leaves and flowers, to supplement.
He usually eats around 5 to 6pm at the moment.
Also, I am giving baths most days...not that he appreciates them. He does go feral at this time of year, having been out constantly since May, and hates the confines of his bath!

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Jan W
Sub Adult

Bertie is generally up later and goes to bed late. His routine is much the same. Eats about the same amount but I would say twice a day at the moment rather than once. Although that may be because Beatrice is taking all the food.

Beatrice is unbelievable. Up at 6 and late to bed. Definitely not her usual routine. Eating huge amounts. Last night at 9pm she was walking round trying to get out and seemed unsettled. I gave her some more weeds and she was obviously really hungry. Ate a vast amount and then settled down. I have never seen her eat so much. You can go in and she walks straight towards you and starts opening her mouth. I will have to try and get a photo. I'm struggling to keep up.

Both of them usually like their bath but are not staying in very long. As I leave 4 drinking bowls around I am assuming they are keeping themselves hydrated.