Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burno View Post
Yes been cases recently of pet shops selling Ibera's & Hermans & telling unsuspecting buyers they dont need paperwork as the tortoise is a Horsfield
This of course, is both illegal and potentially very sinister
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Pussygalore
Adult

I can't beleive that selling one species as another would be done on purpose as surely any buyer with any common sense would get a receipt for the animal and as soon as they knew it wasn't what it was supposed to be would go back to the shop. The shop would then have to either exchange/refund or provide the paperwork needed so it wouldn't be worth the hassle it would also be very easy for the shop to be closed down. I also agree that just being in a viv wouldn't have been the cause of death if the viv was set up correctly, the right diet must also be provided along with the correct temps, suitable uv, humidity etc, I don't use viv's but if used properly many do with good results. Death is usually caused by a combination of things or the tort could even have been carrying something nasty from hatching. I also assume that the poster is quarantining all the animals and keeping the different species apart from each other, the only time they can stay together is if they have already been together for many years in which case any harm that could be done will have already had a chance to take place and there would be no benefit from separating them.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Sid&Nancy
Egg

With respect, as I stated in my original posting, I bought (and lost) little Pie in 2003 - so quarantine now, 8 years later, wouldn't be relivant..
Obviously I keep my different species apart, and care for them in accordance to their needs/wants - which is why they are such hard work (not that I resent a minute)!x

I can understand the use of Vivs, especially for new, little ones, honestly. What I am trying to (maybe badly!) say is that shops will sell a tortoise, in a little Viv (+ all the set up/lighting/heating). There ARE people that will then think 'that's it - 'I have my tortoise, there's his/her home' - and that's it. Because the expert in the Shop says so, because the expert in the Shop sets it all up. I am ashamed to admit, that's what I did 8 years ago.
Sid&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote