Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Default Venting..

I'm sorry - but I am venting here because I am so angry/frustrated, and thought at least here people would understand.

In 2003, I bought a tortoise from a Shop - complete with set up Viv etc. £300. I thought tortoise was lonely.. so bought him a friend from same shop - another £160.

They were both sooooooooooooo teeny - took alot of care and attention, but my little girl died. I received alot of help and support via a local breeder, but none from the place I bought them from (although I phoned them).

They came with paperwork - and that states on it 'Wilton Pet Centre'.. and country of origin - Slovenia.

When my girl died, I took Sid out of that Viv with it's false lighting and heating. I converted a wardrobe to be a 'table' - and whenever the weather warm enough, he went out, in a large pen.. then we graduated to a garden enclosure. He came inside under a heat lamp when very cool. but he has grown to know the Seasons, adapt to this climate.

Now.. a few years on.. Sid, is still thriving. He has free roaming of the house/garden - does as he pleases (and frightened the life out of me by hibernating himself earlier this year). I have also taken in 3 tortoises (different species) since. I have Bill (Greaca) who is 67 years old, and has now decided to hibernate (he lives outside - but I supervise that!), and Ben (horsefield) who is too teeny in my mind to hibernate this year, so I am keeping him going with UV/exercise/bathing/food/light. Basically - I do what I can for my babies. I have many animals here - but the tortoises and their needs are more demanding than the dogs/cats!

I have just read a reply elsewhere to a 'wanted' for a tortoise by the place that originally sold me my original 2 Hermanns. Saying that Vivs are an ideal enviroment for tortoise keeping. If I could smash every Viv a tortoise is kept in, I would - unless for a tiny baby. It seems to me that people are seeing tortoises as aniamls that can must be kept in Vivs, a false enviroment, and having seen my girlie die as she did. when she should have lived to be 80 years old at least.. is heartbreaking.

I recomend that people come here for advice, and given the website, as I have always found this site such a great place for information and help.

..rant over.. xxx
Sid&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

Must have been awful for you when your tortoise died. Sounds like your doing a great job with your other ones and hopefully they will lead a happy, healthy life xx
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

So sorry your female tort died. I can understand why you feel like that about vivs. I know there are a few on here who use them and like them. I guess it all comes down to a mixture of good husbandry, good knowledge and good diet. So many buy torts from shops and believe everything they're told to do. They simply trust they've been given the correct advice. I'm sure there are people who use vivs with a sound knowledge of how to do so, others who use tables, others who just keep their torts outside and those who use a combination. Also, different species of torts need different care.
Such a minefield really but I empathise completely with you. Sid sounds lovely

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Leah Marie
Incubating

I also bought my first tortoise from Wiltons pet centre along with a viv. Thankfully within a couple of weeks I found this forum and have learnt so much.

I kept Edward in the viv for the first year to get him through the winter but this summer my lovely hubby made me a tort table and we haven't looked back. We have also made a special torty garden outside with all his favourite weeds and plants in it. Edward settled in with no problems and so I decided to get another tortoise but this time I researched breeders and found a lovely lady a few miles away.

She gave us a tour round of her breeding torts and then showed us some she had rehomed which mostly she had obtained from people who originally purchased them from Wiltons. These poor torts had deformed shells and other problems as the owners had been told to keep them in vivs. Some had been kept in vivs 2ft x 2ft and were 5 years old or more! They now live a life of luxury with this lady. (She asked me not to name her as she is worried about her torts security due to the increase in theft).

Before she would sell me one of her yearlings she wanted to know where I got Edward and wanted to thoroughly inspected him after I told her he came from Wiltons. She was pleased to see he was in great shape and told me that Edward was probably a girl so might have to change his/her name!

I dread to think how many torts are out there in vivs which have come from this particular pet shop although I have to say the shop does keep them in clean vivs with good heat/lighting and the care sheet I was given states that they should be fed weeds mostly - it does not recommend lettuce, tomato, cucumber diet that some pet shops do.
Leah Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Thank you so much for your replies - especially from Leah Marie - my two didn't even come from Wilton Pet Centre, that's just on their paperwork! The way my Sid lives might well be totally against all tortoise husbandry - he thinks he is a dog, and obviously apart from the diet!) lives as one. He sleeps in a dog bed, runs to the door if anyone knocks... wanders round the garden and does his 'business' alongside them..

Losing Pie was horrific. I have lost many animals, but her death was dreadful.

I can understand Vivs for teeny babies - but surely not beyond that tiny stage?

Leah Marie - your 'lady' sounds a lovely person xx
Old 07-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Is it true that there is no paperwork with Horsefields?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid&Nancy View Post
Is it true that there is no paperwork with Horsefields?
Yes its true you dont need any paperwork for Horsfields I think they are classed as Cities annex 2 & dont require it
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Ahhh.. so that is why they would be more attractive to sell in shops?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
pagan queen
Adult

There is nothing wrong with a viv if used correctly. I keep both my torts in a viv. How do you know it was the viv that caused the death, did you have a it autopsied? There are other reasons she could have died.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband

Last edited by pagan queen; 07-10-2011 at 10:27 PM.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid&Nancy View Post
Ahhh.. so that is why they would be more attractive to sell in shops?
Yes been cases recently of pet shops selling Ibera's & Hermans & telling unsuspecting buyers they dont need paperwork as the tortoise is a Horsfield
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote