Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Default Outdoor Enclosures

Hello
I have just been and has a look at some of the pictures of some of your lovely outdoor enclosures on the site
I would like to create Nana and outdoor spaces to play in, but I have a few questions, that you may be able to answer:

The area has soil/compost in it at the moment, is this safe for her to go on?
What plants would be good to plant in her enclosure?
What type of shelter would she needs?
Does this shelter need lighting etc?

Many Thanks
Kelly
KearasNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Hi there

Soil will be fine as a substrate in your enclousure. Try adding a few different substrates to give your tort variety. In my enclousure I have pebbles, slate and bark all these add interest for the tortoise. Plants to include are lavender, hebe, pansies, petunias and bamboo as well as lots of weeds . At the moment I have a small Hutch as shelter although I will soon swap it for a coldframe. I dont have heat in there as I bring my torotises in at night. I also have a net which goes over the top of the enclousure to protect the tortoises from birds and other predators.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #3
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Hello
Thank you for your reply and the picture, you enclosure looks fab!
You mentioned that you dont have any heat in the shelter as you bring them in at night. Do you put the heat on during the night in their indoor enclosure?
Nana is to young to live outside all day and night (I think as she's only 11 months old?) So I would bring her in every evening.
When the weather is bad or overcast is it better to keep her in her indoor enclsure with all the lights and heating?
You mentioned that you are changing your outside shelter for a coldframe, why is that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to tortoise keeping and I just want to do what's right! and from your pictures I can see you clearly know what you are doing.
Thank you
Kelly
Old 09-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

To be honest the only reason they dont stay out at night is security . At night they go into a large shed which does not have night time heating at this time of year. Night time heat isnt usually neccessary. I'm changing to a colframe because they hodl the heat better than the hutch does. I still put mine out on overcast days and leave them out in the rain as they have the option to go into a shelter if they choose but mine tend to come out in the rain and eat. Don't worry about the questions Keep them coming.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Thank you so much I really do appreciate all your help
This is such a great site, I have been onto a few others but these seems the easiet to use and really friendly