Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Default Mobile phone

I am looking for a new mobile phone for Granddad. Easy you might think ...

A simple phone that just turns on … makes a call and turns off. Nothing fancy. No internet connection. No camera. Needs large buttons for large clumsy fingers and a very loud ringing tone for deaf ears . Something so simply a forgetful memory can work it each time .

Classes run by Age Concern would be great but I appreciate I am asking a lot!

We have tried three phones so far and all have failed the aged grandparent test! The latest one (a Christmas present) today has run out of battery, Granddad cannot remember how to charge it, where the charger is or what it looks like!

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Torterra
Sub Adult

I know just the one you need. Amazing phone!
Search for Doro Easy phone, but you need to make sure it is compartible with the network of your choice. Have not heard if any providers do this mobiles but you can get unlocked handset. I PMed to you with link.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeandmytortoise View Post
I am looking for a new mobile phone for Granddad. Easy you might think ...

A simple phone that just turns on … makes a call and turns off. Nothing fancy. No internet connection. No camera. Needs large buttons for large clumsy fingers and a very loud ringing tone for deaf ears . Something so simply a forgetful memory can work it each time .

Classes run by Age Concern would be great but I appreciate I am asking a lot!

We have tried three phones so far and all have failed the aged grandparent test! The latest one (a Christmas present) today has run out of battery, Granddad cannot remember how to charge it, where the charger is or what it looks like!

Any ideas?
Don't know but that's the one's i like, power to your Grandad, ring, answer or hang up, i hate mobiles.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Torterra
Sub Adult

DORO PhoneEasy must be ideal for you then. It is very simple with big buttons and loud ringer. Very straightforward to use. I quess they also use a 'kettle lead' (figure of eight lead) to charge it, for simplicity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

Wendy, my parents - who are NOT techies at all, prefer the 'clam shell' ones, like the old motorola razr phones. They prefer having something traditional, you open it up and dial the numbers to make a call, no touch screen. Just nice and simple.
Not sure if the Razrs are still on sale though, they might be discontinued. But I think my Dad said (as his has finally conked out) - that they (Motorola) now do a similar model - clam shell, open and close phone.
Perhaps this might be a better choice - rather than a slide or one with the numbers on the face. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
I know just the one you need. Amazing phone!
Search for Doro Easy phone, but you need to make sure it is compartible with the network of your choice. Have not heard if any providers do this mobiles but you can get unlocked handset. I PMed to you with link.
Thanks for that I will check this one out
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

When I had to get one while mine was getting repaired, I got a £14 nokia from tesco. They give you a tenner on it so it actually costs you £4. the tenner takes 2 days to get on so I put a tenner on when I got it and when you put a tenner on it you get another £20 free so all in all I got £40 on the phone and only paid for £10. It has big text that you can read without specs. Tesco mobile uses the o2 network so if you get a good o2 signal you get the same for tesco mobile
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna1971 View Post
Wendy, my parents - who are NOT techies at all, prefer the 'clam shell' ones, like the old motorola razr phones. They prefer having something traditional, you open it up and dial the numbers to make a call, no touch screen. Just nice and simple.
Not sure if the Razrs are still on sale though, they might be discontinued. But I think my Dad said (as his has finally conked out) - that they (Motorola) now do a similar model - clam shell, open and close phone.
Perhaps this might be a better choice - rather than a slide or one with the numbers on the face. xx
Thanks. I thought like you so bought him a clam shell phone last Christmas. It is lovely. That was phone number 2 He carried it around but never answered it as he couldn't hear it going off, then when the phone was closed the light went off so he didn't know it was on So my daughter is getting that one now he has phone number 3
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
When I had to get one while mine was getting repaired, I got a £14 nokia from tesco. They give you a tenner on it so it actually costs you £4. the tenner takes 2 days to get on so I put a tenner on when I got it and when you put a tenner on it you get another £20 free so all in all I got £40 on the phone and only paid for £10. It has big text that you can read without specs. Tesco mobile uses the o2 network so if you get a good o2 signal you get the same for tesco mobile
Yes entry level Nokia are great and very robust, and easy to use. Nokia 1600 you can check out also.
The pic of phone I am talking about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 06-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Ohh ... seems easy and looks plain and simple! Though Granddad will soon change that