Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
FLINTUS
Juvenile

I agree with Ed, a specific time is not really right for quarantine-it depends on CB vs WC, the previous care-outside? live with any other torts? did your other tort come from that source?- and then as Ed said you will get a vet check and see what happens from that. Also the male to female thing is very dependant on species, yes I agree with horsfields like you but there are other species that get along very well even with more males to females.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
Pussygalore
Adult

Unless I'm wrong the poster is talking about setting up a rescue center or something similar, if that is the case they could have torts comming from anywhere, any age, any species and and any sex, unless they state a specific species only. I imagined a group of any species, sex, age etc all running around together which in an ideal world would be very nice but even the most 'stubbourn' of us can see many problems with this. If Ed would just 'plonk' any tort in with lots of others then that's up to him but the majority of us would take precautions, not mix them, not have the females being constantly 'raped' by lots of males and would I hope take some quarantine procedures. Many torts that are up for rehoming are there for a reason and often have health problems or haven't had a very good start, the decent torts with the correct papers are sold. All I did was point out what could be needed which no one else had either noticed or commented on, even looking after torts for holidays takes some planning ie not using grazing straight after others have been there, the care needed in keeping them separate and the hygene between different animals. To be honest unless you are intending keeping the torts then separate tables/vivs etc would be a safer/easier way of keeping different torts for a short term, at least they can be cleaned between occupants, grazing and outdoor enclosures are far more difficult to manage unless you have a lot of ground. I don't even know how long ground would need to be vacant or how it can be cleaned enough to safely put different animals in there one after the other.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 09-06-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
EJ
Adult

Due to this exchange the OP should have a good idea of what they actually need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
Unless I'm wrong the poster is talking about setting up a rescue center or something similar, if that is the case they could have torts comming from anywhere, any age, any species and and any sex, unless they state a specific species only. I imagined a group of any species, sex, age etc all running around together which in an ideal world would be very nice but even the most 'stubbourn' of us can see many problems with this. If Ed would just 'plonk' any tort in with lots of others then that's up to him but the majority of us would take precautions, not mix them, not have the females being constantly 'raped' by lots of males and would I hope take some quarantine procedures. Many torts that are up for rehoming are there for a reason and often have health problems or haven't had a very good start, the decent torts with the correct papers are sold. All I did was point out what could be needed which no one else had either noticed or commented on, even looking after torts for holidays takes some planning ie not using grazing straight after others have been there, the care needed in keeping them separate and the hygene between different animals. To be honest unless you are intending keeping the torts then separate tables/vivs etc would be a safer/easier way of keeping different torts for a short term, at least they can be cleaned between occupants, grazing and outdoor enclosures are far more difficult to manage unless you have a lot of ground. I don't even know how long ground would need to be vacant or how it can be cleaned enough to safely put different animals in there one after the other.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
example999
Egg

Hi,
Yes thanks I now understand others views which will come in useful. If I got to be honest i just want to keep the torts safe and happy until they find a forever home which our my main concerns.
example999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #25
kazzabb
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I don't believe some of the responses to this post...

You don't NEED to maintain same species together...

You don't NEED to quarentine for at least 6 months...

You don't NEED to maintain a specific ratio of male to female...
Ed, isn't one of your straplines: 'trying to keep the fun in chelonian care' or something similar?
You are behaving in an aggressive, humourless and unhelpful way. You may believe the three points you made above, but I don't and others don't either. So for goodness sake, stop being a big bully, there is no need FOR CAPITAL LETTERS either. Calm down otherwise, I'm coming for a visit - and you wouldn't want that to happen, I have terrible references.
Karen
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
EJ
Adult

As you learn more about this hobby you will find there is a sect that trys to jam a particular way of thinking down the new keepers throat... I like the think of myself and those that think like me as the antithesis to this way of thinking.

The CAPS is a way of driving a particular point home. It gets attention.

...as to the visit... you're always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzabb View Post
Ed, isn't one of your straplines: 'trying to keep the fun in chelonian care' or something similar?
You are behaving in an aggressive, humourless and unhelpful way. You may believe the three points you made above, but I don't and others don't either. So for goodness sake, stop being a big bully, there is no need FOR CAPITAL LETTERS either. Calm down otherwise, I'm coming for a visit - and you wouldn't want that to happen, I have terrible references.
Karen
and
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
NATURALIS
Adult

Oh no not again !!!!!!!!!!!!! -------------- yawn -------------
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
EJ
Adult

Nate... Nate... what took you so long to provide your insightful wisdom to this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATURALIS View Post
Oh no not again !!!!!!!!!!!!! -------------- yawn -------------
and
Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #29
Pussygalore
Adult

sorry one more thing anyone who does any sort of rehoming rescue help/work must rehome as soon as possible otherwise you will soon run out of space and then not be able to take in anymore. To me the whole idea is to find a good home as soon as you know the animal is healthy enough to go to one, to many sanctuarys don't rehome and soon fill up, besides the longer you keep an animal the more attatched you get and the harder it is to part with them. Also sadly you can never say a home is 'forever' as no one can predict the future and many of us are only a few steps away from being penniless/jobless or even having to sell/move homes.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
As you learn more about this hobby you will find there is a sect that trys to jam a particular way of thinking down the new keepers throat... I like the think of myself and those that think like me as the antithesis to this way of thinking.

The CAPS is a way of driving a particular point home. It gets attention.

...as to the visit... you're always welcome.
so you are some sort or Oracle as you critisise any advice?

You honestly saying we should just plop all our tortoises in together regardless of sex or species? Don't bother quarantining sure it will be just fine?

Appart from anything else he is talkig about rehoming not coming right from a reputable breeder so who knows what condition they will be in, but hey just hope for the best? Or give it a week see if its ok then of you go?

You actually claim keeping species seperate, a good ratio of females to males and a long quarantine is BAD advice? Cautious perhaps, bad? I doubt it!
However saying its ok to not do any of that could well be very bad advice!

I know you are knowledgeable about tortoise keeping but you are more and more (in my opinion) coming across as ignorant and rude. And to be honest it is becoming very hard to respect you or the advice you give at the moment.
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
housing, husbandry, rehoming, tortoises