Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
The safest way of providing calcium is using calcium carbonate and UVB. The body will be able to self regulate the intake of calcium... unless you... of course... stuff the tortoise with calcium and it becomes impacted... you would have to physically stuff the tortoise for this to happen. I only mention this because some experienced keepers believe you can overdose calcium... as mentioned... you would have to physically stuff your tortoise.

The point... using supplements with calcium and D3 can lead to an overdose in calcium... it will collect in the kidneys and the bone joints. This is an extreme picture that is not really that common but it can happen using calcium with D3.

Too much protein is not the cause of pyramiding. Ask the person or sorce of this information 'What is too much protein'... you will not get an answer because they don't know.

Your best bet for doing away with pyramiding is to provide a good temperature to insure a good metabolism and good hydration to facilitate that metabolism.

The cuttlebone is a good idea.
Supplying calcium at a rate i have seen on some pictures of new hatchling's on post's, some you ca't tell what green's there eating with a mass covering of white powder. What's your views on this Ed. as the advice given can be give plenty of Calcium to a hatchling.
Old 13-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

If you are using supplements such as calcium with D3 you can over supplement calcium... this is especially true if you are using UVB lamps.

The safest form of calcium supplementation is calcium carbonate and UVB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
Supplying calcium at a rate i have seen on some pictures of new hatchling's on post's, some you ca't tell what green's there eating with a mass covering of white powder. What's your views on this Ed. as the advice given can be give plenty of Calcium to a hatchling.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

What about a UVB strip, complete diet 3 times a week - would you just add calcium on the other days rather than a supplement with D3?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
If you are using supplements such as calcium with D3 you can over supplement calcium... this is especially true if you are using UVB lamps.
by calcium with D3 do you mean the likes of Nutrobal and Reptivite type products that have both calcium and D3 in them? I expect it would still take quite a lot to overdose though would it?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
derrick0312
Incubating

Sorry what is complete diet, and what is incomplete diet?

I will try to grow some food myself - but it may takes time - at the mean time, what is the best choice I can get from, e.g. Tesco, M&S or Sainsbury? Since it's important to have a mixed diet, what are the best/easiest plants to grow?
derrick0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
iona_tortoise
Incubating

oh oh i give my torts a small dusting of nutrabol (put some on the end of my finger and blow over their food) everyday and they have limestone flour and cuttlefish in their houses im i overdoing the calcium ?
iona_tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Complete Tortoise diet's some keeper's use these through winter, some as a part of a varied weekly diet. Complete's like Komodo, T Rex, Pretty Pet's.
Incomplete refering to the post would be grass pellet's, dried weed plus grass like Lucky Reptile, maybe Zoomed Grassland and Pre Alpin.
Research on these food's before buying, there has been many post's on the for's ans against.
Supermarket food's are bagged salad's like the med mix, Rommaine lettuce. These can be fed with what weed's/plant's you can get to bulk up.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #18
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona_tortoise View Post
oh oh i give my torts a small dusting of nutrabol (put some on the end of my finger and blow over their food) everyday and they have limestone flour and cuttlefish in their houses im i overdoing the calcium ?
I would say no.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
iona_tortoise
Incubating

hi derrick the s/w shop sells seeds mine are growing well justnow another good site for seeds etc is urbantoroise.co.uk. i myself try to stay clear of supermarket food as you dont know how it has been grown(pesticides and fertilizer etc) i understand its hard to sometimes find weeds etc if you are left with no alternative other than the supermarket try and get organic. also if you have room get a cold frame and you can grow your own all year round. hope this helps x
Old 13-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
iona_tortoise
Incubating

few thanks paul. i thought by having it available they can sort of regulate their intake themselves.

Tags
calcium, excess, nutrobal, pyrimiding, tortoise