Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
derrick0312
Incubating

Smile Beginner - Calcium problem!!

Hi all, I am new to the whole tortoise community and this is my first ever post!!

I am about to get my first ever Hermann baby tortoise in the next 3-4 weeks [can't wait!!! ]. As a total beginner, I have been reading a lot in the past few months so I won't be too clueless when I finally get it.

So, here's my question:-

I have been reading a lot on the calcium requirement for tortoises - but is there any chance of us giving TOO MUCH calcium? The breeder I talked to suggest me to get reptavile and calcium carbonate to include in their diet. However, after reading that Nutrobal are better for baby tortoise, I want to use Nutrobal instead. Am I right that Nutrobal got more calcium than reptavile? Do i still need to spray calcium on the food?

I also want to give my tortoise a cuttlebone (going to buy 'turtlebone') so it can wear the beak down.

I have heard a lot about pyramiding - although too much protein is the main cause for it, will it also happen if I supply the tortoise with too much calcium?
derrick0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

hello and welcome. there's very little chance of overdosing.

nutrobal is for young torts and has more calcium than reptavite I think.

too much calcium won't cause pyramiding.

cuttlefish bone is good and about 80% calcium I think.

limestone flour (calcium carbonate) is 100% calcium I think.

the flour can be put in a dish and they can help themselves. cuttlefish bone is best wetted every other day I find, they become disinterested in it otherwise.

the limestone flour can also be sprinkled on the food but that way you are dictating how much they get rather than them choosing how much they want
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
pammy
Incubating

Send a message via AIM to pammy

Hi everyone i have 5 horsefield eggs incubating i have a couple of questions please to ask the eggs are at 37 days old 3 appear fertile i am not sure how long before they hatch and if and when they do is it best to put them on there own and what best substrate i use readie grass for my older torts thankyou in advance fpr any replys x

8 tortises,9 chickens,2 budgies,
lots of fish,jackrussel puppy name bess
pammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
derrick0312
Incubating

Thank you!! that's very comforting news to know that it's alright! but am I right that there can be vit. D3 overdosing? how should I prevent that? I am going to buy the Arcadia D3+ 12%UVB for vit D3...does that mean I don't need to add any additional vit.D3 in the diet?
derrick0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
shellonia
Sub Adult

Yes just a tiny pinch of nutrobal is what most keepers use for hatchlings but if you prefer to use it say 5 days out of 7 that's fine as well.It's very potent.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick0312 View Post
Thank you!! that's very comforting news to know that it's alright! but am I right that there can be vit. D3 overdosing? how should I prevent that? I am going to buy the Arcadia D3+ 12%UVB for vit D3...does that mean I don't need to add any additional vit.D3 in the diet?
Very rare to overdose on Vit D3 too. As Shellonia says a small pinch 5 days out of 7 or just go by the instructions on the tub which is a pinch per Kg of animal blown over the food daily .. which means a very little amount for a hatchling. you still give nutrobal even though you have a D3 bulb. I have never heard of a D3 overdose
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Good advice so far. You really need to go out your way to overdose. I give nutrobal and calci-dust on alternate days, except the days I feed the complete diet and don't need to give any other supplements.

You're certainly on the right track. What I would say is, decide on a way based on the info you're given and stick to that. It can drive you bonkers if you keep reading because there really isn't just one way of doing things.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammy View Post
Hi everyone i have 5 horsefield eggs incubating i have a couple of questions please to ask the eggs are at 37 days old 3 appear fertile i am not sure how long before they hatch and if and when they do is it best to put them on there own and what best substrate i use readie grass for my older torts thankyou in advance fpr any replys x
I've no idea but if you post it in the breeding and incubation section you will have more chance of getting replies
Old 12-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

As said if you regualy serve up Nutrobal at first it should be ok, put in a piece of cuttlefish, after a yearling lime stone flour in a little dish can be added or sprinkled on food, alternating between Nutrobal if you want to.
Reading there are a few combination's of calcium for keeper's during the week. It boil's down to a fairly regular supply on food.
Old 13-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
EJ
Adult

The safest way of providing calcium is using calcium carbonate and UVB. The body will be able to self regulate the intake of calcium... unless you... of course... stuff the tortoise with calcium and it becomes impacted... you would have to physically stuff the tortoise for this to happen. I only mention this because some experienced keepers believe you can overdose calcium... as mentioned... you would have to physically stuff your tortoise.

The point... using supplements with calcium and D3 can lead to an overdose in calcium... it will collect in the kidneys and the bone joints. This is an extreme picture that is not really that common but it can happen using calcium with D3.

Too much protein is not the cause of pyramiding. Ask the person or sorce of this information 'What is too much protein'... you will not get an answer because they don't know.

Your best bet for doing away with pyramiding is to provide a good temperature to insure a good metabolism and good hydration to facilitate that metabolism.

The cuttlebone is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrick0312 View Post
Hi all, I am new to the whole tortoise community and this is my first ever post!!

I am about to get my first ever Hermann baby tortoise in the next 3-4 weeks [can't wait!!! ]. As a total beginner, I have been reading a lot in the past few months so I won't be too clueless when I finally get it.

So, here's my question:-

I have been reading a lot on the calcium requirement for tortoises - but is there any chance of us giving TOO MUCH calcium? The breeder I talked to suggest me to get reptavile and calcium carbonate to include in their diet. However, after reading that Nutrobal are better for baby tortoise, I want to use Nutrobal instead. Am I right that Nutrobal got more calcium than reptavile? Do i still need to spray calcium on the food?

I also want to give my tortoise a cuttlebone (going to buy 'turtlebone') so it can wear the beak down.

I have heard a lot about pyramiding - although too much protein is the main cause for it, will it also happen if I supply the tortoise with too much calcium?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calcium, excess, nutrobal, pyrimiding, tortoise