Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Monty
Egg

Default eye problem

my male hermann has developed a slight problem over the last 3-5 days. He cannot fully open his right eye. It opens most of the way, maybe a third is covered up by the internal eyelid. When he closes his eye, it does it properly and without a problem (ie the internal eyelid shuts fully first).

He has a dry nose at all times. He doesn't have any problems breathing. I have been bathing him as usual every 2-3 days. All the usual stuff. When in the bath, he does try lots of times to wipe his eye with his leg but it doesn't seem to help. It's not swollen or red or anything like that.

I have separated him from my other hermann from him just in case it's an infection. Does anyone know what has caused this and if I can help - or will it sort itself out? It doesn't appear to annoy him.

Thanks
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Jeremiah
Egg

Hi Monty,
I'm only new to this but had a similar problem when I got Poppy who was in a bad way from being kept in poor conditions for 2 years in a pet shop. Eygptiadan said that it was probably a vitamin A deficency. Plenty of nutrabol. I was also told to grate same butternut squash once a week and give it to her as its high in Vit. A. Her eyes cleared up in about 2 weeks and are perfect now. But I know what youre talking about when you say that the inner lid looks like it won't open properly! Looks pretty scary
Regards
Louise
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Monty
Egg

Thanks Louise, I'll do that. I have been giving him a supplement called reptavite because i bought it before i knew i should get nutrabol. I have been using it sparingly as he doesn't seem to like the taste of it and so doesn't eat if i put too much on.

do you think i should get some nutrabol straight away? or will reptavite do for now, and I'll start putting more on? i'll try the butternut squash though (I take it you mean the inside, not the skin?)
Old 01-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Jeremiah
Egg

Hi Monty,
Yes you peel it and grate it and they seem to love it, I was even able to sprinkle nutrabol on it and the ate it up.. I can't stress enough how new to this I am, its just that I had the same problem and I'm passing on the advice I got here on this forum. I've never heard of reptivite but I know alot of people who know what they are doing use nutrabol.

I'm sure some of the other more experienced keepers will be along shortly and they will be able to give you more advice.

Regards
Louise
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
pmullen

sounds as a vitiman A defincy
Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Monty
Egg

I went out and bought some butternut squash and started feeding it to Monty. He sniffed it at first and then walked away in disgust! I then put a light sprinkling of it on some weeds and he was fooled into eating it. After that he absolutely loved it, he can't get enough of it! he is a fussy eater!

you guys said feed it once a week, well cos I was worried about his eyes I have given it to him 3 times this week. Is it something that should be used sparingly? I will cut back from now on but he seemed to love it as does my other hermann.

One week on, I think his eyes are better, but if they are it is only slightly. Should there be a marked improvement so far?
Old 08-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

Hermans should not be fed fruit in big quantities if at all, it will upset the gut flora.
Try using a drop of codliver oil in the eye, this sometimes sorts it out. It will cause no harm
to your tortoise.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote