Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Monty
Egg

Default how do you prevent shell rot?

This is just a very precautionary question. I have seen some people battling shell rot on here and obviously want to prevent mine from getting it. I bathe my one and two yr old every couple of days and then put them outside in their outdoor enclosure. I think I have read on here somewhere that you shouldn't dry them with a towel, but let them absorb the water through their shell. This is what I have been doing - is that right?

With the weather turning colder I was wondering if they need to be totally dry before going outside? are there any obvious things to do to prevent rot? (is it environmental factors that cause rot, or is it their internal health?)

sorry for so many questions, I have searched but got varying answers!
Old 25-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Many factor can cause shell disease ;
Living in a cold damp environment is possibly the commonest form if i were you i wouldn't put my tortoise out side wet this time of year enough fluid is taken in while bathing.
Shell rot can be caused through untreated trauma to the shell animal bite etc.
Shell rot can be caused through over amorous males constantly butting the female.
Shell rot can be caused through to much underfloor heat such as using a heat mat burning the shell and allowing bacteria to enter .
The best way to avoid shell rot is a good dry clean environment remove all debris from the shell regularly always allow dry sleeping areas if kept out doors don't allow males with over amorous desires constant access to females .
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

thats handy to know Darren is it true you should not dry a tort with a towel?
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
piglet
Adult

I don't now i always do
Darren

Old 25-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

Thats ok then i was worrying cos i do to!
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Monty
Egg

Thanks for that Darren, at least I know I'm doing most things right. I will start drying them before putting them back. Didn't mean to worry any about the towel issue - it's one of those rumours you hear, but if Darren's doing it then I'm sure its ok!!
Old 25-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
wizzasmum

I never dry my torts after bathing. No one does it in the wild and if it was necessary I would be out every five minutes drying Hoover who loves to bathe. If I have bathed him and dried him in colder weather he goes straight out and sits in his water. He is very healthy - never had shell rot, so that's just my experience
Old 25-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I dry all my med spieces but i dont dry my tropical tortoises. I have lots of tortoise towels.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
aprillinda

darren or any red keepers

are reds more susectable to shell rot in that they have a more humid ground level and substrate requirement ?
Old 25-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
piglet
Adult

My tortoises meds anyway are allowed to stay free roaming in there paddocks , enclosures and do often get wet when it rains then yes its there choice but generally they only get wet for a short period before moving into a sheltered area .
But if i'm bringing animals in to soak fo 15 mins to or more then i like to dab them dry with atowel before returning them to there enclosure as said its personnel choice .
Sue are you sure that Hoover is a tortoise and not a boxturtle
Darren