Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #21
tortoise_dude

Mine have never needed clipping, they are kept exactly how you say you keep yours.
Sues torts- have normal claws- Two of my torts where kept by sue previously- and as she has 25+ torts- and shes never cut the nails (except for the rescues for one time only) I doubt its genetics, as, seriously- NONE of them do. so, if your torts are kept like you say- or however, why would they be any different?

Also, my dog NEVER has his nails clipped- ever, not once! He has perfectly flat- normal nails.

Also- before anyone mentions it- this post was NOT meant in an arugmentative way.

EDIT: i looked at your site too, its not really torts related YET is it?
Old 26-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #22
saucysqueezy
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise_dude
Mine have never needed clipping, they are kept exactly how you say you keep yours.
Sues torts- have normal claws- Two of my torts where kept by sue previously- and as she has 25+ torts- and shes never cut the nails (except for the rescues for one time only) I doubt its genetics, as, seriously- NONE of them do. so, if your torts are kept like you say- or however, why would they be any different?

Also, my dog NEVER has his nails clipped- ever, not once! He has perfectly flat- normal nails.

Also- before anyone mentions it- this post was NOT meant in an arugmentative way.

EDIT: i looked at your site too, its not really torts related YET is it?
our torts are kept as I say - we got some lovely ideas from sandy and others on here for substrate and changed it about a month ago. I personally do not care about how others keep their tortoises, or how many they keep, i care about the welfare of my pets and will care for their individual needs as needs be.

which site my personal one of the tortoise one? Both aren't designed for commerical use and so will grow when we can be bothered to do them, as stated the tortoise one is our personal look at our tortoises' lives - it is not in place to be a radical supply of knowledge and wisdom lol. It's related to our tortoise and erm that's all it's there for....why I had to justify my personal website I have no idea lmao!!!!!! And thank you for your comments on it Josh that you sent, after looking at your site, I will take them with a pinchof salt. The information on your site is exactly what is wanted for a public information site, and on ours is exactly what we want on a personal reflection site - maybe you didn't read the first page which states "this site was created to keep up-to-date with the progress of our own two hermanns" - but never mind. And as for our bland colouring, what can I say, well there are a few things, but it would be rather off topic and I don't want to start a debate on website design on here. If you wish to pm mee feel free I can give you many tips on yours...

and so for the "enough said" comment, it probably needs more elaboration, but I feel that A PM is more suitable as that comment could lead down a path I am sure this site does not wish to go down...

this topic has became extemely futile and thank you for the advice that some people have given on how to cut them and what parts to look at.

I await what happened with your torts Monty, apparently we're not keeping them correctly lol
Old 26-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #23
nina
Adult

Hi SaucySqueezy,

I'm not a website designer, but I enjoyed looking at your site. I know there are still sections to be added/expanded, but I think it looks nice. Just one little thing - in the variety section I think you've got the same photo for the redfoot and the indian star. I liked that section (are you going to add other species - e.g. horsfield, etc.?) because you could just scroll down and see the relative sizes, and characteristics right next to each other, so it was good for comparison.
Old 26-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #24
saucysqueezy
Incubating

hi Nina thanks it's far far from completed lol i think we mentioned that on the front - the layout is from my site so it's changing but that was mentioned to Josh in a PM I did forget to add horsefields, my bad! But yeah I like your ideas will def be doing that
Old 27-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #25
Monty
Egg

Guys, I have been thinking about whether it needs doing from what some of you have said. I have tried to take some pictures to show the length of nails.

If they're not clear enough I'll try taking some more. What do you think - too long?
Old 27-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #26
saucysqueezy
Incubating

they look about a few mm shorter than ours and we took off maybe 2mm so hardly taking off chunks haha
Old 27-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #27
Monty
Egg

Well it's hard to get good pictures because the nials curve away from you. Here are two more representative pics. I hope they are ok.
Old 27-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #28
wizzasmum

They do look quite long Monty but if kept on a good abrasive surface for feeding i.e. terracotta then they should wear down somewhat. Only do this though if the torts is healthy and carries itself well clear of the ground, as plastron wear will result otherwise. For what it's worth I would trim them a litte if they were mine and then let nature do the rest
Old 27-08-2006, 12:54 PM   #29
saucysqueezy
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty

Well it's hard to get good pictures because the nials curve away from you. Here are two more representative pics. I hope they are ok.
that's a rather good picture if I do say so myself! Thought I would ask do you have rock fixtures and wood fixtures in your enclousure? I think Sandy and Sarah gave some great tips on different types of substrate in a topic on this forum, like soil and top sand, some pebbled areas etc The wood fixtures from t rex etc are ok for hides but the best ones are from garden stores, they have uneven surfaces and are great for climbing on
Old 27-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #30
Monty
Egg

well it didn't exactly go as planned.

On Rocky (my 1 yr old) she was fine and I trimmed about 1mm off each nail.

On Monty (my 2 yr old) I did ok on the first front foot. On the second front foot I managed to snip into the quick, so he's not at all pleased with me. He went to bed and is now sulking. I just hope it wont hurt for too long. I gave up at that point. I figured his back nails weren't so bad that they needed doing (might have been trying to convince myself of that). I was being so careful too. It's just they are so small, a mm too much and you've messed it up.

So from now on I don't want to have to do that again. They do have a fair few rocks and wood in the table, and outside. Though I like the idea of getting something to feed them on. I don't know how to get flat terracotta. will slate be as good?