Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 07-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
mango
Incubating

A friend of mine had this problem with a dog she bought from someone via the newspaper. She, like you found it so difficult to cope with constantly cleaning the carpets that she thought she may have to let her go. In her last effort to sort the problem, she took her to a dog psychologist!

His advice. The dog has probably been yelled at for urinating on a carpet and now associates urinating with trauma. If you see the dog doing this indoors (or find a patch or heap) – DO NOT react at all. Just try and remain calm and clean it up – but also don’t stroke the dog either. No reaction at all.

Hang on in there, and when you take the dog for a walk always have a treat in your pocket. Sooner or later, the dog will go outside. Then you make a huge fuss. Happy excited voice, big strokes and give the treat.

You may have already tried this, but I thought I’d post it, just in case. In all honesty, it took my friend a good couple of months before this started to work. But after a couple of weeks of the occasional accident – she got there in the end. Her break through, came during an outing. Rather than just a long walk, they went for a picnic at the local park for half a day. Her dog ran around loads and she kept giving her a bowl of water. Nature eventually had to happen.

Hang on in there!
I saw the pictures on the other thread. She really is beautiful.
mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Have you tried the puppy training pads, we did with Ollie, he would rip paper, and still does, but he used the puppy pads, he used to run off with them now and then, but generally he would use them for the intended use. we still put one down if we are going out, or take one with us if we visit anyone.
A week or so on the pads may help, they are only about £5.35 for a big pack. They have a 'smell' impregnated into them, I could never smell it, but the dogs can.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Sweetheart if its any consolation our rehoer does this - she's very timid and cowers etc - sounds so similiar to your pup. We ignore the fact that she wees in the house, just dont say anything to her and quietly clean it up - we even have to pretend to be happy while we are doing it cos she's so frightened that she's gonna be told off that she'll just literally run round the house and keep weeing. We just take her outside and get her really excited and bounce around with her until she does wee and then we make a huge huge fuss of her and she'll wee again. She's not 100% yet and we've had her since November but she is loads loads better than she was.

Just a simple thing like shouting upstairs to the children will make her wee cos she thinks every time you raise your voice or change your tone of voice she's going to get told off. Your pup sounds very much like ours - I'd say just loads and loads of patience love, I know it does get you down having to clear up after them time after time but you get her sorted once so you will get there - good luck with it lovey
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
70ridgeway
Adult

it wont take me long to rehouse train but its the fact i dont know why shes gone back so quickley in a few days hubby has taken my wooden flooring up this morning as theres tiles underneath and dont want the flooring to be ruined
70ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Madhouse
Sub Adult

To be honest it sounds like something spooked her doesn't it but I think with quite nervous dog like ours it could well be something so small and/or simple. It may well have been that she sensed feelings, both my dogs are extremely sensitive to how I feel so it may be that she was upset, bless her.

Fingers crossed she'll be back to normal soonest - she's gorgeous by the way!
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
bernards mom
Sub Adult

dogs can be very sensative. i may not be that that something happened while she was away but more likely that she knew something was wrong before she went to stay at this other house and then she was 'sent away' maybe things are not 100% back to normal at home and she knows something is not right but is confused as to what it is.
we have had our dog since birth and she is 5 in a few months. she still wees in the house at night. i can leave her all day long in the house alone with no accidents yet most nights she wees and sometimes poos. it is so frustrating somming down stairs and having to clean up before the kids walk in it. i still dont know why she does it but it only seems to be at night. is there a perticular time of day/night that yours does it?
also another thought - she will not wee or poo when on a lead. her mom was the same (she wouldnt even do it with a collor on no matter how busting she was, yet you could take off the collor and she would go and have a wee straight away) i dont know why this is either. we never trained either of them to do it, it just kind of happened! although as it turns out it is very usefull! when you go out does your dog get a chance to come off her lead?
alot of dogs dont like to mess in there own gardens either. we used to walk our dog for mile and she would only ever wee and then come home and poo in the garden. it would drive me mad!
good luck with her and just persevere no matter how frustrating it is!!
sarah
Old 07-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Sarah sounds like your dog is suffering from seperation anxiety overnight - our eldest one was exactly the same, great in the daytime but awful at night - he now sleeps in my sons room and is fine! Son wouldn't sleep on his own neither as he has a few problems so it worked out great for us!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #18
bettyboop
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to bettyboop

Jo
Has your rottie had a season yet.
I had a little staffie who was house trained but i found that just before and during her seasons she was peeing indoors it was a total
nightmare this went on until i had her spayed at the age of 6.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
joanna
Adult

As she's still young and had some time away, if I were you I'd start the toilet training again right from scratch like you would with a new pup. She may have got confused with different rules at different houses etc.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
70ridgeway
Adult

no she hasnt i thought about anytime now she must be due for her season
70ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote