Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
ibizathetort
Adult

Default To all members of Shelled Warriors - please add your thoughts

Hello everyone

For a while now the forum has been subjected to a lot of insult throwing, bullying and put downs (especially to new members) and the feeling I am getting from a lot of members is that it is now at breaking point and has caused a lot of long standing posters to leave.

The general feeling is that one person is allowed a free rein to insult and bully as they wish.

This all came to a head on friday evening when Jackie Stone was called a nazi for pointing out to the forum that a tortoise was being sold without its papers. She feels this was the tip of the iceberg in the bullying she was on the end of from this person.

The team did not do anything about this insult which seems to be the trend, until I kicked up a fuss and then all that happened was that his comments removed. It feels like insulting behaviour is being condoned by shelled warriors and is causing good people to leave. Lots of members are saying they are frightened to post anymore or have a differing opinion for fear of being on the end of it. My feeling is the team is not impartial enough anymore.

I myself was going to leave, especially after being treated like the trouble maker by the admin but it was such a great forum I felt i'd try and be constructive.

The problems I feel is that there seems to be no control over the people who insult or suitable punishments. We don't get told if infractions are handed out and this adds to the feeling of injustice. We were told after the latest incident that it was 'being monitored'.

My suggestion would be;

1. if anyone is reported for insulting behaviour and the admin team feel this is correct, then the person making the insults should be suspended until they apologise to the victim.

2. 3 strikes and you are out. Persistent insulting behaviour earns you a ban, 3 chances.

3. The victim gets told of the infractions therefore putting minds at ease that shelled warriors does not tolerate it.

I have been accused of having a problem with certain members by the team, I can clearly state and have said time and time again that i would hate to see anyone banned but it cant be at the cost of others. I respect everyones views and experience, but i really dont respect certain members way they makes others feel here.

Also would like to say I appreciate all the efforts everyone who runs the forum, this isnt an ungrateful moan! Its just such a good forum that is in serious danger of becoming a very unfriendly place to be

Thanks for listening
Chris (Ibizathetort)
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

Old 19-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
Hello everyone

For a while now the forum has been subjected to a lot of insult throwing, bullying and put downs (especially to new members) and the feeling I am getting from a lot of members is that it is now at breaking point and has caused a lot of long standing posters to leave.

The general feeling is that one person is allowed a free rein to insult and bully as they wish.

This all came to a head on friday evening when Jackie Stone was called a nazi for pointing out to the forum that a tortoise was being sold without its papers. She feels this was the tip of the iceberg in the bullying she was on the end of from this person.

The team did not do anything about this insult which seems to be the trend, until I kicked up a fuss and then all that happened was that his comments removed. It feels like insulting behaviour is being condoned by shelled warriors and is causing good people to leave. Lots of members are saying they are frightened to post anymore or have a differing opinion for fear of being on the end of it. My feeling is the team is not impartial enough anymore.

I myself was going to leave, especially after being treated like the trouble maker by the admin but it was such a great forum I felt i'd try and be constructive.

The problems I feel is that there seems to be no control over the people who insult or suitable punishments. We don't get told if infractions are handed out and this adds to the feeling of injustice. We were told after the latest incident that it was 'being monitored'.

My suggestion would be;

1. if anyone is reported for insulting behaviour and the admin team feel this is correct, then the person making the insults should be suspended until they apologise to the victim.

2. 3 strikes and you are out. Persistent insulting behaviour earns you a ban, 3 chances.

3. The victim gets told of the infractions therefore putting minds at ease that shelled warriors does not tolerate it.

I have been accused of having a problem with certain members by the team, I can clearly state and have said time and time again that i would hate to see anyone banned but it cant be at the cost of others. I respect everyones views and experience, but i really dont respect certain members way they makes others feel here.

Also would like to say I appreciate all the efforts everyone who runs the forum, this isnt an ungrateful moan! Its just such a good forum that is in serious danger of becoming a very unfriendly place to be

Thanks for listening
Chris (Ibizathetort)
Well said , i to feel something has to be done , this use to be a great place , not anymore even newbies asking simple question's are attacked , just as a example a newbie was saying how they thought it was best to feed a weed diet , they where meet with ''been brainwashed already '', whats the point !!!. I get newbies sending me pm's asking for help as they feel they cannot ask on the forum !!! , surely we should be helping new people instead of leaving them more confused . I respect everyone's view's but can i just ask this question , if where not looking after new people and scaring them away and members are leaving because they have had enough of being attacked where will this forum be in 12 mths.
Old 19-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the trouble with that is there would be no one left. you would not believe the amount of people who are reported for absolute nonsense. BTW, when someone reports a post it does not appear by magic in front of you, you have to check your emails and I don't know about anyone else but I'm not checking my emails every 5 minutes just to see if someone is not happy about some nonsense or other on SW
Old 19-07-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
the trouble with that is there would be no one left. you would not believe the amount of people who are reported for absolute nonsense. BTW, when someone reports a post it does not appear by magic in front of you, you have to check your emails and I don't know about anyone else but I'm not checking my emails every 5 minutes just to see if someone is not happy about some nonsense or other on SW
this place has lost that special something it had once , no one seems to care now when people are attacked and attacked till they leave , newbies leaving one after another .
I guess it dont matter someone else will join tomorrow !.
Old 19-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
ibizathetort
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I understand what you are saying alan I realise it must be mad to try and keep up with the tittle tattle. But the real insults, such as last friday, is what im referring to, the ones that drive good people away. they are the ones that should be frowned upon in some way. surely isnt that one of the rules anyway on the forum

Old 19-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

To be honest, I thought the original "nazi" comment was in bad taste and I said so straight from the beginning. However, I don't think that's the worst thing that has been said on here. Having said that, that doesn't make it ok - especially if it's only the tip of the ice berg.

I think if members are leaving then something needs to be done. It shows the strength of feeling.

I have noticed comments about brainwashing etc. This must be off putting for new members. Indeed, if new members are sending private messages to one particular member, rather than posting on the forum, because they are frightened then something needs to be done.

We all have a responsibility to act appropriately. There are always faults on both sides. That's why I think Chris' suggestions are good.
Old 19-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
EJ
Adult

By your rule... you'd have been banned before that one person.

All that one person is sorry for is the opinionated and judgemental mentality that almost all of these forums have taken.

That one person really wishes it could be all about the tortoises and their care... regardless of ones political orientation.

I guess the team must be correct considering the persistant personal attacks that this one person has to endure.

If that one person went on such a rant against another member I'm sure the management would have a say... this is why this one person probably holds their tongue for the most part with the occasional flip comment to stress a particular point without getting into it...

Oh... thanks for the photo.

I notice the same people have the same complaint... only one... my way is the only way and everyother way is wrong.

They hide behind the argumentative card... the bullying card... I don't care what anyone does but I do feel that they should be given ALL the information and then decide for themselves. I've never been so arrogant to say what is best. The closest I'll come is to say what I think is best.

I'm willing to bet this one person gets more pm's for advice for fear of starting a war. I'm also willing to bet more people leave because of nonsese of being able to agree to disagree.

The only bullying I see on these forums are... YOU MUST DO IT THIS WAY... you will never see this one person say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibizathetort View Post
Hello everyone

My suggestion would be;

Thanks for listening
Chris (Ibizathetort)
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

Last edited by EJ; 19-07-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 19-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
ibizathetort
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
By your rule... you'd have been banned before that one person.

All that one person is sorry for is the opinionated and judgemental mentality that almost all of these forums have taken.

That one person really wishes it could be all about the tortoises and their care... regardless of ones political orientation.

I guess the team must be correct considering the persistant personal attacks that this one person has to endure.

If that one person went on such a rant against another member I'm sure the management would have a say... this is why this one person probably holds their tongue for the most part with the occasional flip comment to stress a particular point without getting into it...

Oh... thanks for the photo.
Well i for one would be happy to play by those rules....would you

i think you should be apologising to jackie really

that photo was intended to make you smile...maybe to realise the sillyness of your favourite phrase tortoise nazi and maybe bring a bit of fun back into the forum...that bit me on the arse.

Old 19-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #9
EJ
Adult

When it's drilled into your head that there is one certain way of doing things and the most accessable resource entertains that thought... isn't that brainwashing?

To offer the advice that you can do it this way are that way... doesn't that give the choice to the keeper?

Interesting alliance... and quite typical of the tortoise community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
To be honest, I thought the original "nazi" comment was in bad taste and I said so straight from the beginning. However, I don't think that's the worst thing that has been said on here. Having said that, that doesn't make it ok - especially if it's only the tip of the ice berg.

I think if members are leaving then something needs to be done. It shows the strength of feeling.

I have noticed comments about brainwashing etc. This must be off putting for new members. Indeed, if new members are sending private messages to one particular member, rather than posting on the forum, because they are frightened then something needs to be done.

We all have a responsibility to act appropriately. There are always faults on both sides. That's why I think Chris' suggestions are good.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 19-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Kelly you will certainly be a huge loss to the admin team, and I cant believe you have been forced to make such a radical decision.

I have taken a bit of a back seat for the last number of months because of lack of personal time and more so the constant bickering and bitching between members.

I for one wish people have nothing constructive to say, that they would just say nothing at all.

I am one of the original members here and have remained very loyal to SW not trolling other forums and feel saddened to see posts like this one.

SW used to be a friendly forum, but I agree it has gone down hill, that is no reflection in my opinion with the admin or mod team who do work hard behind the scenes dealing with lots of issues raised, we can never please everyone all of the time, it is merely a reflection of members courtesy and respect or lack of for one another. This is not aimed at anyone in particular but if you feel the cap fits please feel free to wear it.

All members who post should always treat others how they would like to be treated themselves.

Has everyone forgotten what this forum is for!!!!

I will give you a clue it is not personal egos or vendettas, its for tortoises and their welfare. So people please get over yourselves, and either sort out your differences or stop posting simple really.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Closed Thread