Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 08-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
lynnedit
Hatched

Default ornate box turtle enclosure-need examples of outdoor set ups

Hello,
I recently helped out a local Reptile rescue by fostering an Ornate box turtle. Of course, I fell in love and she is now MINE.

(I also keep Horsfields. Different!)

I believe her indoor set up is fine; it is in a Waterland land tub inside for now.
They are not native to my area of the US, so I want to make sure her outdoor enclosure accommodates her needs. I have been scanning SW, and see that there are several members who keep Ornates.
Much of the UK climate in general is more similar to the PNW than other parts of the US, so I am on SW to learn more about a climate specific outdoor enclosure.
Here is a link to a video of her in her indoor enclosure; at one point she does have an 'incident' with a log

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI5k6s2Qjbc

And an overhead view (strip UV extends lengthwise to a support which has been removed for the pic):
[/URL]

So, does anyone have pics of their outdoor enclosures or other advice?
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

This is the sort of thing I use for keeping box turtles outdoors. This was for juvenile three toed but the Ornates are similar. The water on the left is only a couple of inches deep.

For Ornates there are a couple of things that I feel are really important.

Substrate depth. This has to be deep. At least twice their total body length. They like to burrow to avoid temperature extremes and also at night.

Ensure that the substrate doesnt get too wet, definetely not waterlogged. Perhaps cover a percentage of the enclosure with polycarbonate sheet or similar to maintain a drier area. They cannot handle wet UK conditions when its cool or cold. They get sick very quickly, even perfectly healthy animals can develop respiratory infections in days.

In the UK I wont put them outside until I can guarentee the weather is going to be dry and warm for extended periods. The deep substrate retains some moisture so they get the choice of microclimtes they need.Obviously they also need sunny spots as they are avid baskers.

The habitats I use for them oudoors are similar to the tortoise ones, except the plants have a chance to take hold without being eaten away which the turtles also utilise for shade and cover. In the wild this cover would be provided by long grasses so you could include those in your set up.

They are brilliant little turtles, very intelligent and bold. Make sure your outdoor enclosure is secure. A mesh top is a must for me as they are superb climers.

Last edited by Kirkie; 08-02-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

Great enclosures, and would love to see a picture of your box turtle Lynne x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
lynnedit
Hatched

She is a character.
Bev, here is a pic of her in her 'Pergola' (I've since covered any sharp points).
It is under one of the basking lights but is moistened moss; she seems to like the combination. She'd just come back from a 'dip' in the water.

Kirkie, thanks for the enclosure pic and the tips. I initially planned to adopt Eastern box turtles as they became available, as I thought they might acclimate better to our climate, but you can't help it when something else comes your way.

Fortunately we usually do have wonderful summers, actually on the drier side when they finally come. I like the idea of covering part of the enclosure, and will do this.
Pacific NW, US
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Catwoman63
Adult

Oh she is very beautiful Lynne, no wonder you wanted to keep her x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

She's beautiful Lynne. I'm sure you know already but her beaks a little overgrown. It can be an issue when they're inside on a "soft" diet. Mine hunt snails when they're outdoors and any excess is soon worn away. They will try cuttlefish which may help a little.

I've had a couple I've had to get trimmed when they first came to me, its not easy to do due to the boxing up.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
lynnedit
Hatched

Yes, I did notice her beak. Thanks for your suggestions.
A friend who does beak trims for the rescue organization that I got her from started to trim it one day. She did not retract, in fact, she opened her mouth ready to bite her! We decided to wait until she was more settled in.
She was certainly in a huff for 24 hours after that.
For once, I am looking forward to snails, Still too cold.
Her beak doesn't seem to stop her, but I am going to get a better piece of slate, and a larger cuttlefish as well.
Then we will see how she does.
Pacific NW, US

Tags
ornate box turtle, outdoor enclosure