Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
terrypin
Adult

Default Hi

Hi Iam Terry I have been a member here since soon after Sarah and Darren started this forum I feel I should introduce myself since I don't recognise anyone by their username. I do apologise for rushing in trying anewer people's question like I know a little about tortoises. Since hatching my first tortoises in 1989 I have continued to hatch every year but never sold any less than 5 years old. For me the interest has been the raising of tortoises to be viable adults. I have always concentrated on their diet and husbandry. I do believe I have been successful even with Leopards raising a group of babcocki hatchlings I bought from the UK in 1996 to become viable adults which went on to produce several fertile clutches until I chose to stop incubating them. Please feel free to do a search for my username I have posted many many pictures of my tortoises here.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

A lovely introduction, Terry.
It's always nice to welcome members back to the forum but especially original ones, there's been many changes over the years and a few old names have moved on but there are a few of us devoted regulars that pop by each day.
Members with experience are invaluable, especially to new members and new tort owners, but also for many of the rest of us. You can never stop learning in my opinion and I've really enjoyed your posts.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Suze65
Adult

Hi Terry, it is good to have old members back again , I don't remember you.
We have lost a few experienced tortoise keepers, so it's really good to have more people with experience coming back.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Hi Terry, it is good to have old members back again , I don't remember you.
We have lost a few experienced tortoise keepers, so it's really good to have more people with experience coming back.
Thanks to be honest I was a regular here then started my own forum in2010. I continued to post but in the main to answer questions about Leopards which I was becoming know for. To be honest I have not been on here recently been busy apart from running my own forum As you must be aware the forums are not busy what with all the Facebook groups so I thought I may be able to help over here seems you are no longer as busy as in the past.where have all the longterm members gone. Also obody knows me so why would they listen to my advice.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
Thanks to be honest I was a regular here then started my own forum in2010. I continued to post but in the main to answer questions about Leopards which I was becoming know for. To be honest I have not been on here recently been busy apart from running my own forum As you must be aware the forums are not busy what with all the Facebook groups so I thought I may be able to help over here seems you are no longer as busy as in the past.where have all the longterm members gone. Also obody knows me so why would they listen to my advice.
Well I hope you stay with us. I don't know where they all went, may be to FB groups, I tried those, and I don't like them. But gradually we are getting new members and a few have come back. I have tried other forums, but they weren't as friendly as this one, and I think on here most people are open minded to hearing how other keepers have thought outside the box and tried new ideas in tortoise keeping, rather than its my way or the highway sort attitude, it's quite refreshing really . So it will be interesting to hear your ideas, please stay 😁

Old 09-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
Suze65
Adult

Oh and it would be great to see some pictures of any of your torts please, and enclosure pictures please.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

Never done FB, twitter. like the simple life. its good to have people with knowledge on here. we are always learning whatever level of knowledge there is. I wonder if you ever knew my v v old godfather and mother, worked for Geest and florists in Jersey, had friends in the grouville area, st Lawrence, greve de azette area and matiere. he was in Burma... hope the sun stays out over there, CB
Old 09-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #8
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Never done FB, twitter. like the simple life. its good to have people with knowledge on here. we are always learning whatever level of knowledge there is. I wonder if you ever knew my v v old godfather and mother, worked for Geest and florists in Jersey, had friends in the grouville area, st Lawrence, greve de azette area and matiere. he was in Burma... hope the sun stays out over there, CB
If you mean Burma as in during the war, I am not that old lol I would at least need to know their names we do have a few people over here I have noticed you still have Sandy on this site one of the most experienced keepers about in particular when it comes to Testudo graeca graeca and Ibera.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
terrypin
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Oh and it would be great to see some pictures of any of your torts please, and enclosure pictures please.
I posted so many pictures on here in the past I would be afaraid of duplicating. What I will do is download some recent stuff to photobucket, but meanwhile please click on the links in my signature so access my websites the .com one is for my forum but the .co.uk is my website with pictures and videos and then .org which contains caresheets. If you do visit the forum at the top of the page is an orange linkbar which will direct you to my websites. Please dont feel obliged to join unless you wish to post a comment , but please check out the different areas and if you prefer comment on here. I have permission from Sarah the owner of this site to use the links in my signature.On every other site I post on I have a link for shelled warriors this includes when I post on tortoise island. So I am not trying to do anything underhand.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Terry. Of course I know you from elsewhere! Welcome back to sw. I agree that tortoise forums in general are not as busy as they once were. Including this one. But there is enough interest to keep us ticking along until the next bit of excitement.

Of Moderators we have little need but Alan is there if we need him!