Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 22-04-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
sarah p
Egg

Default Baby sulcata housing

Hi i always thought tortoise tables were recommended as best housing but I have been told that a vivarium may be better for baby sulcatas as they need a warmer home is this right?
sarah p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

mine had a 6x4ft table but the room was kept around 20c both day and night not counting her basking areas which came from two suspended combined lamps. I suppose if you can't keep the room warm then you'd have to consider a viv but to be honest if anyone is considering getting a sully then a warm room should always be considered, exspecially when you think you have to provide the same but outside in a few years. As far as I know sullies don't like humidity very much anymore than they need extreme heat and its hard to keep a viv from becomming humid not to say the size you'll need in a couple of years. My torts had the spare room just for them so with the door shut and curtains closed at night in the winter it was easy to keep the room warm with the one radiater and the lights through the day also added some warmth.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
mine had a 6x4ft table but the room was kept around 20c both day and night not counting her basking areas which came from two suspended combined lamps. I suppose if you can't keep the room warm then you'd have to consider a viv but to be honest if anyone is considering getting a sully then a warm room should always be considered, exspecially when you think you have to provide the same but outside in a few years. As far as I know sullies don't like humidity very much anymore than they need extreme heat and its hard to keep a viv from becomming humid not to say the size you'll need in a couple of years. My torts had the spare room just for them so with the door shut and curtains closed at night in the winter it was easy to keep the room warm with the one radiater and the lights through the day also added some warmth.
I agree with Ann, and a viv would not last that long, as sulcata can grow quite quickly compared to other tortoises.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote