Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 26-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
ash92
Egg

I passed in October, my insurance ended up costing me £1000 for fully comp. I have myself as a registered keeper and main driver and then have my dad as an added named driver. I went on the compare sites and whatever came up top on those I directly went to but they always ended being more so in the end I went for ladybird through go compare ....

Also if there is anyway you can pay in one lump some I found mine went down about £800, I was lucky enough to have a saving funds that was always for this purpose, but my friends who don't parents paid the insurance in one lump sum and she pays them back monthly, It's just an idea

Also pass plus I looked into it for my insurance I found it didn't save me to much and then with the cost of the lessons it turned out I wasn't saving a penny, but I still did it in January this year as I found it gave me more confidence. You have about 6-8 lessons, there is no test (it took me 4 times to pass my normal test so this made me feel better), it's just you driving around and if you need help the instructor will help you but it's mainly just about you showing your a good driver.

& also congratulations =D
Old 26-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
pagan queen
Adult

Tractors are cheap to insure.
http://metro.co.uk/2011/05/26/teen-c...e-quote-23829/
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #23
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptiandan64 View Post
They found insurance was cheaper going through parents, half or less than your quote,
Poor journalism from Top Gear (again).

This is called Fronting.
It is car insurance fraud an carries a criminal conviction.
Do not do this!!!

My advice is to buy a cheaper, older car.
A 5-10 year old 1 litre Nissan Micra will cost relatively little to insure compared to a 'sporty' 1.6 Corsa/Fiesta/C2 etc etc.

Yes it's not 'cool' but it's only a stepping stone to get you some of that much needed no claims bonus.

Other options is to restrict your mileage, this can have a big effect on your premiums... as can your postcode... what is your postcode?
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash92 View Post
I passed in October, my insurance ended up costing me £1000 for fully comp. I have myself as a registered keeper and main driver and then have my dad as an added named driver. I went on the compare sites and whatever came up top on those I directly went to but they always ended being more so in the end I went for ladybird through go compare ....

Also if there is anyway you can pay in one lump some I found mine went down about £800, I was lucky enough to have a saving funds that was always for this purpose, but my friends who don't parents paid the insurance in one lump sum and she pays them back monthly, It's just an idea

Also pass plus I looked into it for my insurance I found it didn't save me to much and then with the cost of the lessons it turned out I wasn't saving a penny, but I still did it in January this year as I found it gave me more confidence. You have about 6-8 lessons, there is no test (it took me 4 times to pass my normal test so this made me feel better), it's just you driving around and if you need help the instructor will help you but it's mainly just about you showing your a good driver.

& also congratulations =D
But if you were getting insurance now would it be that cheap with the increased cost due to the gender equality rule?

£3000 is payed off in one sum, they want £3500+ otherwise. I tried adding a parent as a named driver but it makes it more as they have both had bumps within 3 years.
Old 26-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
Poor journalism from Top Gear (again).

This is called Fronting.
It is car insurance fraud an carries a criminal conviction.
Do not do this!!!

My advice is to buy a cheaper, older car.
A 5-10 year old 1 litre Nissan Micra will cost relatively little to insure compared to a 'sporty' 1.6 Corsa/Fiesta/C2 etc etc.

Yes it's not 'cool' but it's only a stepping stone to get you some of that much needed no claims bonus.

Other options is to restrict your mileage, this can have a big effect on your premiums... as can your postcode... what is your postcode?
The £3000 quote is for an 02 1.2 Corsa with an estimated annual mileage of 6000. Postcode is CF63.

It isn't fronting if the car is in the parents name though?

Last edited by TillyTortoise; 26-02-2013 at 12:38 PM.
TillyTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
The £3000 quote is for an 02 1.2 Corsa with an estimated annual mileage of 6000. Postcode is CF63.
CF Cardiff
3, 15, 42, 61-62, 71-72 . . . . . . . . . . . . E *
5, 10-11, 14, 23-24, 63-64 . . . . . . . . . . F *
31-41, 43-48, 81-83 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D *

They are listed on a scale A-F.
A = Good Post code/Low Risk
F = Bad Post code/High Risk
* = Motorbikes need to be locked in a secure garage

There is your problem it's the highest risk postcode available
Old 26-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSnake View Post
CF Cardiff
3, 15, 42, 61-62, 71-72 . . . . . . . . . . . . E *
5, 10-11, 14, 23-24, 63-64 . . . . . . . . . . F *
31-41, 43-48, 81-83 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . D *

They are listed on a scale A-F.
A = Good Post code/Low Risk
F = Bad Post code/High Risk
* = Motorbikes need to be locked in a secure garage

There is your problem it's the highest risk postcode available
Just my luck
Old 26-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
It isn't fronting if the car is in the parents name though?
Fronting is to do with incorrectly naming someone else (the parents) as a main driver, when they are not.
Sadly it does not matter if it's in their name or not.

Of course, proving is everything, and fronting is very difficult to prove unless a) you've been grassed up
b) have made 'other' false declarations which might cause the insurance company to investigate.

I would add a female relative onto your insurance, drop the mileage lower (down to 4,000) - they may (or may not) ask you for a declaration of the mileage on your car at the time. The car is fine, cheap band, but tbh, your biggest issue is the post code.
Old 26-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #29
pagan queen
Adult

Is my area any good for insurance? My daughter is taking lessons at the moment. TN28 where do you find that information?
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
emma_mcraf
Adult

Congratulations Ross. You must now be feeling someone's taken the wind out of your sails with the insurance quotes and obvious difficulty in getting your own car insured. What a nightmare! When I passed my test 20 years ago it was expensive to get insured then, but nothing compared to now. I really feel for you.
I bought the cheapest car I could get for insurance back then (a choice of a mini, fiesta or metro - I ended up with a metro) and I worked my backside off just to pay for my car. While I was at university I was holding down a weekend job, where I worked all day on Saturday and Sunday, to pay for the upkeep and petrol for the car. It was a nightmare but I commuted to uni from home each day, which ultimately was cheaper than living at uni.
I did see my insurance payments go down dramatically from year to year though as well as being able to build up my non-claims bonus.
It's swings and roundabouts how you go about it, but it's going to be costly whatever you decide. I can appreciate the frustration of having passed your test and being desperate to get your own car and get out on the roads. After all, you now need to get the experience and put all you've learned into practice. Real driving begins after you've passed your test.
Good luck with getting insured and congratulations for passing!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote