Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 17-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
JOHARRY
Egg

Default ex battery hens

Besides my tort I also have recently adopted six ex battery hens. Here is a picture of one of them sat on my knee...

If anyone is thinking of chickens I would recommend the ex battery ladies; it is so lovely seeing their personalities and natural hen ways come out. It is also a great feeling to know that they have been given a second chance.

Plus...they keep us supplied with eggs!!

They are a little bald in places at the moment but their feathers are coming through now - they will be beauties in no time!

Best wishes
Jo
JOHARRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
aprillinda

jo

what a lovely thread

im so pleased for these hens getting a second chance with you
Old 17-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
westcountrygirl
Egg

Well done for taking them on and giving them a normal home.
westcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
skewbald
Hatched

Awww thats lovely. How rewarding giving them a chance of a natural life. I'd love to see pics as they start getting their feathers back.

0.0.1 leopard tortoise
skewbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Tracy J
Incubating

thats lovely , good to see they are getting a second chance , my speckled one as daft as it sounds seems to talk to me in her own way lol i love it when she cocks her head to one side and looks at me and clucks away

2.1.0 maliensis uromastyx
1.1.0 moroccan uromastyx
2.2.0 horsfield tortoises
Tracy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
kim davies
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kim davies

my uncle keeps chickens.he rescued one and its toataly bald apart from afew feathers!realy funny! x
Old 17-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
JOHARRY
Egg

Aww thanks everyone...I am really chuffed to think that you are interested in my ladies. I will keep you posted on their progress. I have only had them four weeks but these animals, they get under your skin don't they?!
The dog on the piccie is my Benny - he is so good with the hens although he does run off when they peck at his feet!
The only problem is I now have to split my time between watching my tort and watching my hens. Many hours can be lost that way!
Best wishes
Jo
JOHARRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
tortoiseguy
Sub Adult

What a great thing to do, how did you manage to rescue them?
tortoiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #9
phoenix23db
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to phoenix23db

i love hens lol, there just such a different pet to keep. i always say that wen i get my own house ill have some ducks. i think they can both (hens and ducks) be really rewarding animals to keep
0.2.0 Leopard's
phoenix23db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

there are quite a few societys that take them in and rehome them when I worked at the battery farm ( I may add not for long) the birds only have a matter of weeks in the cages, its such intensive forced laying that they are literally egged out and on the point of death, I can,t remmber how long but the houses are restocked at least twice a year, the birds usually go for dog food or paste maunufactures, I knew of several who took the odd one home and some did lay again but the majority were just to wore out to do so, they managed the odd egg but made lovely pets they were so traumatised by being outside that they would just sit crouched in the same position that they had in the cage for a few days, they had to relearn to use their legs and to stretch their wings again, if anyone is thinking of getting some you can save them before they have to experience the cage life for long most farms if you go and ask will sell hens to you and they will give you the new birds so you could prevent even a few having to endure the most miserable life possible.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote