Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #51
Tortlover
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to Tortlover

They are 3 weeks old now....eating mums food and veg...lol. I think she will be pleased when they leave her

Tortlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #52
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Awwww they are stunning. How old will they be when they leave mum?
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #53
Tortlover
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME SHELL View Post
Awwww they are stunning. How old will they be when they leave mum?

Thanks x

They will be 8 weeks old...so poor pickles has to put up with them for another 5 weeks yet by which time Im sure she will be fed up with them...lol.

I am building a large c&c cage for them so that they have more room and mum can get a bit of peace and quiet
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #54
anna m
Adult

They are lovely
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #55
Tortlover
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky12 View Post
Baby rabbits are fully weaned by 5 weeks so you can take them away from mum then if you want too.
The vet advised that 6 weeks at the earliest as they are still learning from mum but to make sure the sexes are seeparate by 10 weeks
Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #56
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

I hope your considering buying them a bigger cage. I think its way too small for even a normal sized rabbit never mind a mum and babies (I don't want to sound mean or anything). Have you considered a nic cube setup instead? I made mine for around £45 and its lovely and roomy. All you need is a couple of packs of these...
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...e+mesh+storage
To make something like this..

At least in something bigger she will get more peace from the babies when she wants it.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #57
Tortlover
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M View Post
I hope your considering buying them a bigger cage. I think its way too small for even a normal sized rabbit never mind a mum and babies (I don't want to sound mean or anything). Have you considered a nic cube setup instead? I made mine for around £45 and its lovely and roomy. All you need is a couple of packs of these...
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...e+mesh+storage
To make something like this..

At least in something bigger she will get more peace from the babies when she wants it.
Helen xx

Thanks for your advice Helen- too many people keep buns in hutches etc that are too small....as I said in one of my previous posts I am in the process of putting together a C&C (NIC) style home for them but usually my buns have the Trixie Natura deluxe mansion in the garden but obv keeping mum away from other 2 at the moment in the shed with the babies. The cage she is in is where she stays over night-during the day she has the run of the shed
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #58
Tortlover
Hatchling

Quote:
Oh right, well my experience has taught me that if they are eating well by 5 weeks you can seperate them. Normally by that time the mum has had enough of them around her.

Personally I would also have them seperated sex wise by the time they are 8 weeks at the very latest. Alot of people will say that rabbits cant get pregnant so young but believe me I have seen it happen. Especially in the smaller rabbits.

Alot of vets will go by what they read but I have never found that to be true. I bred Netherland dwarf rabbits for 10/15 years on and off and I nearly always seperated babies from mum by 6 weeks. I did get the odd occasion where the babies were small so I would leave them in for another week or two but not very often.
ok...thats cool then! Im sure pickles will appreciate having her space again a bit sooner.

Thanks Vicky
Old 08-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #59
Tortlover
Hatchling

Quote:
Im sure she would. Just keep an eye on the little ones, see how much they are eating and if all is well I dont see any reason for not seperating them earlier.

You could always weigh them once a week over the next few weeks and then you will get an idea of how they are doing.

Shame your not closer as I could have alook at the sexes of them, save you taking them to the vet.

Normally by the time they are 4 weeks old they will have finished feeding from mum. I noticed from your earlier pics that they were tucking into greens, just be careful that they dont eat too much of it as they could get upset tummies.

Im sure mum will love to have her space back again. They are totally gorgeous and if we didnt have 5 bunnies already I could be very tempted, especially with the little grey.
Thankyou so much for the advice...as with all things there is soo much of it about and most is conflicting...lol.
I would rather listen to someone who talks from experience than a vet who has never done it and knows only from text books

I note what you say about the greens...I usually feed mum her veggies outside of the cage...only put a leaf or two inside every 3 days or so. Pickles has always eaten greens etc so am I right in thinking they will be ok as long as they only have a little as they will be somewhat used to it from the milk? ( another thing the vet said...lol)

Old 13-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #60
purplelinda

AWWWW just found this thread, i just KNEW there was someone on here with rabbit experience,!!! what a shame i didnt find it when i was asking for help on sunday,