Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #41
trulytortoises
Hatchling

I just wouldnt trust any any kind of fighting breed dog around children, no matter how trusting or gentle they may seem, my partners cousin had her staffie barney since he was born, and he always seemed so friendly and very gentle, as his cousin has 2 young daughters, they were brought up together with the dog from being very young, but years later down the line, after times where the dog would lie beside the kids never growled at anyone, but out of the blue one day, the kids watching tv, dog lying on the floor, he just jumped up and started attacking the oldest child(as that child was nearest) for no apparent reason! she suffered small bite marks but still caused abit bleeding, my partners cousin was just in the kitchen and seen it happened so ran and grabbed the dog off, the dog has since been put down. I know u do here all these stories about these fighting type breeds of dogs and to be honest since that happened i just would never ever trust them again.

1.1.0- THB- williow(f) & cavalli(m)
trulytortoises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #42
beckyzazou
Hatched

A rescue greyhound or lurcher would be a good choice in my opinion. They are very friendly, loyal and sociable. Just not good with pet rabbits for obvious reasons
beckyzazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #43
Lou
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Lou

agree, I would leave no dog around any child on its own. There was a recent case near me of a terrier attacking a child and injuring him quite badly.

I personally have my springer Bailey. He is lovely, although hairy and sheds like no ones business, I have just began shaving him right down, which we both prefer. He is getting there on the training I got him just before he turned 5 . He is loveable, very playful and has a lovely temprament.

I think some dogs can be nasty on their own, but a lot of the time it is down to disapline. I hate telling bailey off, but it has to be done. Regardless. Any dog left with a child could be at risk. Just like you wouldnt leave your torts with them... no matter how much you "trust" them

Horsfield: 1.0.2 Walter / Izzy / Tilly
Redfoot : 1.3.0 Ruby / Scarlet / Merlot / Ginger
Goldfish : 0:0:1 Splodge
Bearded Dragon : 0:1:0 Zuki
Springer Spaniel : 1:0:0 Bailey
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #44
anna m
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda View Post
here is a little fun test

to help you decide

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
I did this quiz and it came up Foodle and Chipoo. I thought someone was having a laugh but they do exist. Cross between Fox Terrier and a poodle, Chiwawa and a poodle. Some look quite sweet but i don't have much time for a dog
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #45
laurahill
Egg

Hi as has been already mentioned it depends on your lifestyle, but never get a dog that has a higher energy level than your own, i have a rough collie and two shelties they are fantastic but the shelties are very lively, it is important not to fall in love with the looks without giving serious consideration to what the dog was bred for. All my dogs would lay down their lives for me and my family i am sure. good luck with your search !!!
laurahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #46
joanna
Adult

Well my fave are sight hounds, any type! and of course terriers (I'm a real lurcher / terrier girl!) Bedlington Terriers rule - they don't have to look poncy if you don't trim them that way! I will have at least one beddy for the rest of my life. They need firm yet sensitive training but it repays with 100% loyalty, dog at your side and so fun fun, I dont understand why they aren't a popular pet dog.

Another breed often overlooked is the Field Spaniel - all the good traits of the more popular spaniels but well known for their docile friendly nature around children. An excellent pet dog for an active family.
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #47
joekent
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to joekent

I have the most amazing blue merle border collie but i do agility and obedience with him to keep him stimulated.. they are VERY clever dogs.

I also believe males make more loyal pets than bitches - especially with collies.