Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Default Coffeg's question - Horsfield outside issues

Coffeg posted this question in another section but I thought it would get more attention if it was here so I made a copy and pasted it here. Apologies to anyone who might feel I am doing something I'm not entitled to do, but these days we lack people to do these tasks. Jonathan

COFFEG'S QUESTION

Hi I really need some advice as I'm feeling completely out of my depth.
We have a two year old Horsfield tortoise. His shell is 8cm long. He has spent his first year with us in a covered tortoise table with necessary lighting etc. he was used to going outside on hot days in a covered pen lat summer. This year we have a more permanent set up. We have a covered out door pen with small tortoise shed. Inside the shed I have put a tray of mixed topsoil/sand topped with shredded paper. The problem is that our Ernie likes it a bit too much and only seems to want to spend time in there sleeping. So much so he doesn't seem to want to be out in the sun and I'm therefore worried that he won't be getting the same levels of light he'd get in a tortoise table. We've also tried to let him sleep out there on two separate nights ( warmer nights ) but on both occasions he didn't wake up and go outside once the following day, even to eat. Both times we ended up waking him and bringing him in to put under his lights as he was worryingly cold. Everyone keeps saying being outside is best but I'm worried he's just too young and little. I would be grateful for any advice/similar experiences. Would some additional lighting in his outside she'd help? Many thanks.
Coffeg is offline Report Post

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 31-05-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Well done for moving it Jonathan. I hadn't seen this post.

Hi Coffeg.
I'm afraid that my torts are brought in each night, so I don't have any experience in keeping them outside day and night, but I know that the evening temps here in Devon have been very cool recently and so I would think that some heating in Ernie's outdoor shed would warm him up enough to get him venturing outside a bit more. He is very little still, and I find my two year old prefers to dig down when he's outside. He has a wander, has a nibble and then disappears under the soil, so Ernie's behaviour is probably completely normal but the extra lighting to give him a kick-start in the mornings might make all the difference.
I'm sure someone with a bit more experience in keeping their torts outside will be along to give some good advice.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Coffeg posted this question in another section but I thought it would get more attention if it was here so I made a copy and pasted it here. Apologies to anyone who might feel I am doing something I'm not entitled to do, but these days we lack people to do these tasks. Jonathan

COFFEG'S QUESTION

Hi I really need some advice as I'm feeling completely out of my depth.
We have a two year old Horsfield tortoise. His shell is 8cm long. He has spent his first year with us in a covered tortoise table with necessary lighting etc. he was used to going outside on hot days in a covered pen lat summer. This year we have a more permanent set up. We have a covered out door pen with small tortoise shed. Inside the shed I have put a tray of mixed topsoil/sand topped with shredded paper. The problem is that our Ernie likes it a bit too much and only seems to want to spend time in there sleeping. So much so he doesn't seem to want to be out in the sun and I'm therefore worried that he won't be getting the same levels of light he'd get in a tortoise table. We've also tried to let him sleep out there on two separate nights ( warmer nights ) but on both occasions he didn't wake up and go outside once the following day, even to eat. Both times we ended up waking him and bringing him in to put under his lights as he was worryingly cold. Everyone keeps saying being outside is best but I'm worried he's just too young and little. I would be grateful for any advice/similar experiences. Would some additional lighting in his outside she'd help? Many thanks.
Coffeg is offline Report Post

I have the same problem with my female iberas, if I have the heat on in the GH they will stay there. So when I have the heat on, I use a timer, so the heat comes on in the morning to allow them to warm up. Then its switched off so they do come outside.
Tortoises are not to young or small to be outside, as thats how they survive in the wild. Its us who try and treat them like humans, and forget they are wild animals in captivity. My hatchlings go outside once they have started to eat. They do have a coldframe to hide in when its colder, and I only bring them back in if we have a week of coldish weather.
They get better UV outside than they do with any artificial UV we can provide.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

one thing is never to put any food inside the house but have a feeding area outside the same as you'd have in a table, once the tort knows when his food is about hopefully he'll come out to eat. Give him a few treats to begin with and make sure he knows you're putting his food out and preferably at the same time at least to begin with, once he's comming out the treats etc can be cut down. My torts used to hear me comming and heads would appear mind you I did have heated housing but they liked their food and would always come for dinner.

Last edited by Pussygalore; 31-05-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Daryn
Hatchling

If you have only just started letting him sleep outside it might take a week or two for him to get used to the new surroundings. Dont put any food in the shed keep the feeding outside so he gets used to it

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Coffeg, It sounds ok , usually in my experience it will be due to cooler weather and the 'shed' home not heating up on the inside to alert morning is here suns out !! my Horsfields went outside around that size day and night no heating in a shingle pen - horsfields really don't like damp at all, though mine seems to love the rain - lots of drainage needed, no damp soil, and just check the news paper doesn't feel damp or coldish to touch. Mine love to bury in shingle but I sometimes do roll up balls of newspaper to make it more interesting. I have vet bedding they sleep under in their shelters so they know they are 'buried' against their shells but enough to let some natural warmth in. Also they need loads of stimulation as you may know already - Rocks and climbing frames, unturned pots and yes a feeding platform. I have upturned hanging basket with dandelions growing out of it and they can spend hours trying to pull them out. My spur do have luxury of heat lamps but I find my Horsfields just weren't interested at all and wouldn't sit still under it so apart from 1 week they've never had a heat lamp and hibernate outside too. lots of interest shingle and plastic roofing. I would also bring him out at that size and place him on his feeding platform or food dish every day (warm rain) or shine. he should make his way home when wants to but I do have one that I have to put away each night from the outside (that size too - just adopted her so she doesn't now the ropes yet).
edited : Forgot to say that's nearly 25 years of Horsfields - they are very gregarious inquisitive little things !!

Last edited by CherryBrandy; 03-06-2015 at 10:41 AM.
CherryBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Coffeg
Egg

Smile Thanks for all the advice

Thanks so much for allow help. I'll persivere. As many of you have mentioned he is still young and learning how things work. Seems a shame not to let him have the fun of outdoors.
Coffeg is offline   Reply With Quote