Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Default advice for rehoming

I'm taking in a 3 year old spur tort soon.
She's in fairly good condition, some slight bumping but not overly. She's been fed on weeds and tomatoes. Kept in a viv with not a lot to investigate. Never been outside I believe.
I just wondered if anyone who's rehomed tort's has any advice to help settle her in? (You may remember the trouble I had with Eddie!).
I'm planning on a table in the kitchen as it's warmer in there. Should I just throw her in at the deep end and give her a pure weed diet and outside on nice days or carry on with her own routine till she's comfortable? I'm changing her substrate to soil too.
And how long should the quarantine period be? I hear 6 months to 18 months. She's been on her own for 3 years and i've got it on good authority that there's been no health problems. I'll get a poo test done soon as though.
I'm sure i'll get answers that my two torts may not able to live together. I'm fully aware of this. The new one has been confirmed as female (by a vet so i'm not totally convinced yet) and as Eddie's growing he's looking female too (was incubated at 32) so i'm hopeful they'll be ok but provisions will be made if not.
Thanks in advance. I'm just a bit concerned about the sudden swap from warm stuffy small viv to big open airy table x

Edit. Yes the current owner has the A10.

Last edited by pixie-egg; 15-04-2011 at 10:23 AM.
pixie-egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

Aww good for you Pixie I would start as you mean to go on, try feeding weeds from the start, if she is hungry she will eat them! You may find that she will hide away, when I took Petal THH on a year ago she had never been in an open table, she hid away for a few weeks and would only eat if hand-fed She settled eventually and is now one of my most active, best torts. She really came out of her shell so to speak (!) when I started putting her outside. Try not to worry if you done it with Eddie you will do it with this one too
Old 15-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Aw thank you. I knew I couldn't stop at one. Just want to make as least stressful as possible for her x
Old 15-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
TortBabe
Adult

She may settle immediately and love the table or she may find it strange and hide away. Give her a nice warm bath when you get her home, and offer food and see what she does. She may surprise you and start jumping off her hut straight away
Old 15-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

That would be nice! Surely she won't take as long as Eddie did. He (or she!) was ridiculous!!!
Old 15-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

I would start as you mean to go on Becky. They are strange in any new surroundings, (2 of mine even a substrate change, tips them over the edge!)

Put her in her table / outside on nice days / & feed her weeds, if she wont accept them you can squeeze some tomatoe juice on them & if that doesnt work a few bits of finely chopped tomatoe etc.

They are all different & with any luck she will be a little piggy

bet your sooo excited!!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
roofee0778
Hatched

Good for you - hope all goes well. I remember your Eddie traumas. You must know every trick in the book now I reckon!

Ruth
1 funny little thb - Pedro
roofee0778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Aw bless you all. I was expecting you to say No don't get another, you are terrible! Eddie is doing so well now with all your help and do feel confident with another tricky one. Even with the bumpy shell this new girl is beautiful. X
Old 15-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

The quarantine period with the tort being on it's own for that long the risk is lessened, i would give her good settling in period and maybe introduce, if every thing seem's normal, as in all animal's stress can bring on symptom's. It may not be nescessary to go 6-18 months quarantine.
Old 15-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Ooh that sounds good. I've already halved the outside enclosure. Should they have two separate locations to begin with? They'll be in different rooms in the house but was unsure if it'd be too close to have them only separated by a fence outside. It's not see-through if that makes a difference.
I'm such a worry wort.
Looking forward to giving her a nice long bath. She looks very dry.