Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 21-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Default Eddie..... Again :-(

I know you'll be sick of this but i'm still struggling my little tort. Had her about a year now and only a few months of "normal" tort behaviour. All temps and lighting are spot on, warm and cool ends, lots of plants, rocks and two hides. My other tort is thriving. I'm bathing Ed every day and using abidec once a day. She is even worse outside. Eats a very small amount and has weighed 75g since christmas. Been worm tested twice and clear. I get her up for her baths and put her near the food, mostly weeds and pellets 2 times a week, she may have one bite and then hide till the next time I get her up. Any more suggestions very much more than welcome.

It's baffling me now since my newest tort is doing so well.
Old 21-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Are they sharing an enclosure Pixie?
Old 21-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Beverley
Adult

I know it's worrying If their are no parasites, no Rns or anything wrong then it's maybe just this tortoise. What are your temps warm and cool end?
Their does seem to be some tortoises that take a while to start developing. My Ibera didn't put on any weight for a year but then all of a sudden he just started to eat well and it went from there. I have 2 Margies both from the same clutch and one is now 100g heavier than the other and they are both treated exactly the same !! Just keep on doing what you are doing, have you tried reptiboost rather than abidec just to see if it helps.
Old 21-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Yep they are now in the same enclosure. They seem to get on fine and always eat in front of each other so I don't THINK (obviously don't know) that's the problem.
Temps are the usual 34-36 and cool end is about 20 day or night. I was using reptoboost and another sw member suggested trying the abidec too.

Edit. Forgot to mention that Ed actually perked up after I introduced them. She'd follow him everywhere and seemed to really be happier. Wasn't to last x
Old 21-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
jeff
Sub Adult

Have you tried reducing the temps to 30c,I think you temps are a little on the high side.Tortoises do become in active at high temps,And can you post a photo of there housing.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Thanks jeff. I'm off to buy a new bulb moro anyway so will go for the 75w instead of 100w and see if it makes a difference. Also will take some "updated" pic's x
Old 22-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
TortBabe
Adult

Sorry he is still worrying you Becky, I would try cooler temps and see if that helps
Old 22-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
kreacher
Sub Adult

I don't suppose you have tried using an infrared bulb instead of a White bulb? I have several reptiles that will not come out if hiding if they have a White light on them. Infrared makes light that they can't see so it doesn't scare them...we used to have a bearded dragon that was just like that until we moved vivs and he was under a red light he loved it even though the uv strip was still on. It's very strange but I've seen so many reptiles like it now we keep a stash of bulbs in case we get a shy animal
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

the higher temps may suit one tort but not the other so it is a possibility. it is also possible that even though they eat together the wee one might just feel threatened by the presence of the larger tort. I'm only clutching at straws though
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

See, I was wondering that too Alan about the eating. But the big one seems to encourage the little one in way. The little only ever eats if the big one is there. I take the big one out and we see Eddie even less. I've been trying that much and for a year now I really don't know what to do. I'm gonna try lower temps first. Can't get my head round that though cos she's so cold all the time cos she doesn't bask. I'll try and entice her out with it cooler though. But i'll try it. Not sure infrared will make a difference as we had a few months of Ed eating and chasing round like a nutter in the bright light.
At least I know it's not just me being rubbish as Susannah is doing so well.. The amount of flipping time I spend on here (a year before I actually joined too!) I should have picked something up by now :-S x