Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #11
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Nowt wrong with being an eccentric crank.
No, indeed not !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #12
Jan W
Sub Adult

Very interesting and still working my way through it. Interesting comments on the male being active earlier and for longer and comments about torts restless behaviour, particularly in light of recent posts.

Thank you
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Very interesting and still working my way through it. Interesting comments on the male being active earlier and for longer and comments about torts restless behaviour, particularly in light of recent posts.

Thank you
Jan
ooo? That sounds interesting reading...I assume with 'recent posts' you mean one of mine..
'off to investigate.....'
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsky View Post
ooo? That sounds interesting reading...I assume with 'recent posts' you mean one of mine..
'off to investigate.....'
Yes definitely thinking of Putin!
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #15
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Nowt wrong with being an eccentric crank.
I concur, Gordon.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

quite purist though. Syrian hamsters come from Syria - or do they...Personally I loved the book and site but if I had a Syrian hamster it would be in pet shop sawdust not a syrian habitat. Don't hug it because its wild ! mad even. If it is adequate and meets welfare demands then that should be good enough. The book is for experts perhaps as I think it would put some new TK's off.
CB
Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
quite purist though. Syrian hamsters come from Syria - or do they...Personally I loved the book and site but if I had a Syrian hamster it would be in pet shop sawdust not a syrian habitat. Don't hug it because its wild ! mad even. If it is adequate and meets welfare demands then that should be good enough. The book is for experts perhaps as I think it would put some new TK's off.
CB
Yes but, keeping mammals is very different to keeping reptiles, and You do have to create as close a natural habitat as possible to re create those very specific conditions for good growth and health, unlike many mammles. I personally think to be a tortoise keeper you do need to be a bit of geek or nerd about it, unlike mammals. I have seen first hand with one of my hatchlings ( pickle ) who went to a new home, I gave a full set of clear instructions on how to keep a hatchling tortoise, and it was nearly a disaster. I really do believe if it puts people off, then they are not committed or dare I say nerdy enough. I'm not having a rant, but that's just what I believe. And to be honest what would animal welfare in this country demand for keeping tortoises, I doubt they have a clue about the reality of creating the right conditions for good growth, they would probably say, if it's got food and water then that's fine, but we know that's not the case. Just saying.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 02-03-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #18
CherryBrandy
Adult

i'm with you Suze ! the book still paints a purist view though in mho !

(and I wouldn't put two syrian hamster together either, nasty). CB
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
JerryMaffz
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
CB
You're right CB, it is a purists view. I do see your point but I'm in the "new TK" camp, definitely no "expert" (do they exist?). I own Wolfgangs book and it inspires me, rather than put me off.
I do think mammals, especially rodents are a lot more adaptable than reptiles...My hamster Owen lived to be over 3 years, I do miss the little fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I personally think to be a tortoise keeper you do need to be a bit of geek or nerd about it, unlike mammals. I have seen first hand with one of my hatchlings ( pickle ) who went to a new home, I gave a full set of clear instructions on how to keep a hatchling tortoise, and it was nearly a disaster. I really do believe if it puts people off, then they are not committed or dare I say nerdy enough.
Agree 100% with this Suze.

Testudo hermanni boettgeri 1:0:0 Jerry Maffz

Last edited by JerryMaffz; 02-03-2016 at 12:57 PM.
JerryMaffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
CherryBrandy
Adult

im not sure I would have 'nerdy tortoise keeper' on my t shirt but agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. The number of people who say oooh I want a tortoise and then when it comes to it don't actually want one or know what's involved. In future I will call them non nerdy and refer them to the hamster shop.

My one was called Barney, Keith. When I was about 8 I had one and called him Brandy. It was going to be called Guinness (bless my nan), but I couldn't spell it at 8 years old. CB