Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
wizzasmum

I hope I have read your post wrongly and I hope you do not take offense, but I would be concerned about the continual swapping about of species enclosures if they contain a natural base such as soil. Changing species to different enclosures is virtually the same as mixing species unless there has beena complete change of substrate and thorough disinfection of the area. Sorry if I have misread this.
Old 28-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
piglet
Adult

Sue no its not miss read I also noticed too but I'm sure Lisa is aware of this and will disinfect the soil areas if that's what it takes
Lisa verkon is a great disinfectant to use water over the area to kill of germs etc this is what we used in the foot and mouth epidemic and is completely safe and 100% viable against any pathageons that might be harboured in the ground

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Hi

Hope you get it resolved but if she doesnt want the tort I will offer him a new home, I have 2 little THB`s so if its a THH he would have his own enlcosure, if the same species then he would have to be in 6 months quarantine, anyway hope his mum wants him.
Cant believe she hasnt been in touch, my 2 are so precious I check and feed them before I leave for work, check with my hubby that they are ok when I am at work, and bath them as soon as iIget in from work.

Tanya
Bride2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
newforestmum
Hatchling

thanks for your concern guys and yes I am aware of disinfecting

The Leopards will be moving to their new enclosure when it is ready I will then disinfect the redfoots enclosure. It is far too big for the redfoot babies at the moment so last year they only went out there for little visits or I put their tort table in the enclosure so that they got access to sunlight without me having to worry about them.

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
wizzasmum

I use Virkon too Darren. Someone did mention on another list that it was too harsh for use with torts, but the pacakgings states 100% safe and I have never had a problem with it. I absolutely soak all enclsures with it while torts are in hibernation.
Old 28-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #16
piglet
Adult

Sue we use it at work for the most delicate of speices with no problem , I use it also along with F10 .

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
tortoise_dude

Mine get done twice each hibernation (The enclosures not torts) and I also use Jayes fluid with water to do indoors and tiles (the floor is tiled to avoid steining the shed floor)
and mine are fine- the Jayes fluid is mixed very weak, and its left for a whole 2 months before torts come into contact.
I did Diggers a few times too when he had shell rot- and the time he escaped into the other enclosure- I virkoned all the enclosures.
Old 28-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
tortoise_dude

Quote:
Hi

Hope you get it resolved but if she doesnt want the tort I will offer him a new home, I have 2 little THB`s so if its a THH he would have his own enlcosure, if the same species then he would have to be in 6 months quarantine, anyway hope his mum wants him.
Cant believe she hasnt been in touch, my 2 are so precious I check and feed them before I leave for work, check with my hubby that they are ok when I am at work, and bath them as soon as iIget in from work.

Tanya
I think NFM is going to re-home him herself if the owner doesn't turn up, she'll surely find a great home (probably her own :P )
Old 28-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #19
wizzasmum

Josh - don't use Jeyes fluid, it's toxic. Not sure how long it stays toxic for but the fumes are toxic and stink for a long time. Stick to Virkon.
Old 28-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #20
tortoise_dude

Okay sue, will stear clear from now- it was aired out for ages though- left the door open most days and closed it of a night as I was in and out doing bits all through the winter.