Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 20-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
TaylorWRP
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to TaylorWRP Send a message via Skype™ to TaylorWRP

The woodchips were not large, they were small-medium sort. Well before I was always told "never use woodchips" hemp/aspen or Soil is better. So I decided to put her on soil. She appears to dislike it, I am cautious on other bedding such as woodchips, hemp and aspen as if she ate abit intentionally or just got some stuck with her food. The breeder said she had no issues with them eating it which was fine but my horsefield decided to nibble at woodchips as I use to use that under the basking light before using a slate. So I had to remove the woodchips. I am not sure if I didn't feed her enough so she resulted to eating wood chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
What kind and how big where the wood chips? What was 'wrong' with using what the tortoise was used to?
TaylorWRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

Hemp used to be on the 'never use' list also. I could never understand how 'the best' is chosen. Is there some kind of competition or review board which grades substrates? If they are picking they are either hungry or they are testing out the material. If they are hungry that could lead to problems but that is the same with any substrate. If they are just testing it out they will either spit it out or pass it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorWRP View Post
The woodchips were not large, they were small-medium sort. Well before I was always told "never use woodchips" hemp/aspen or Soil is better. So I decided to put her on soil. She appears to dislike it, I am cautious on other bedding such as woodchips, hemp and aspen as if she ate abit intentionally or just got some stuck with her food. The breeder said she had no issues with them eating it which was fine but my horsefield decided to nibble at woodchips as I use to use that under the basking light before using a slate. So I had to remove the woodchips. I am not sure if I didn't feed her enough so she resulted to eating wood chips.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
TaylorWRP
Incubating

A friend of mine has forever kept nothing but horsefields and he keeps his in open topped tables as normal and keeps them on a meadow or timothy hay substrate, he says he has never had issues with this. I was considering this myself incase it is digested. I know horsefields are big eaters but I am worried of over feeding which may cause pyramiding in the shell. So her food is limited to once a day with a handful that is roughly the size of her shell..or what she can eat in 20 minutes. She will eat and eat if given the option.

Quote:
Hemp used to be on the 'never use' list also. I could never understand how 'the best' is chosen. Is there some kind of competition or review board which grades substrates? If they are picking they are either hungry or they are testing out the material. If they are hungry that could lead to problems but that is the same with any substrate. If they are just testing it out they will either spit it out or pass it.
Old 20-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

If you do a little more research you will find that it is becoming more and more accepted that feeding large quantities of the proper foods does not cause pyramiding.

Quote:
A friend of mine has forever kept nothing but horsefields and he keeps his in open topped tables as normal and keeps them on a meadow or timothy hay substrate, he says he has never had issues with this. I was considering this myself incase it is digested. I know horsefields are big eaters but I am worried of over feeding which may cause pyramiding in the shell. So her food is limited to once a day with a handful that is roughly the size of her shell..or what she can eat in 20 minutes. She will eat and eat if given the option.
and
Old 20-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
TaylorWRP
Incubating

Yeah I have herd of this readigrass stuff which is usually ryegrass if I am correct? - Also some people have used horse feed as substrates which is usually mixed grasses and soft straw or hay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
The cut up hay product you have seen some using is probably readigrass.
Oh is that so? will have some more research done..can never learn enough I think where torts are concerned lol.

Thanks

Quote:
If you do a little more research you will find that it is becoming more and more accepted that feeding large quantities of the proper foods does not cause pyramiding.
Old 22-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Lisamn
Hatchling

I have horsfields and use a bit of a mixed bag of substrates in my tables, Taylor. Roughly half of the tables are sterilised top soil, with the other half (including the basking area) being a product called Tortoise Life - this is a mix of sand and soil with added pieces of calcium (ok if accidentally ingested, no foreign bits of hair/stones etc but is a bit pricier than top soil). I also put Timothy hay or Ready grass in the hides, have placed some slate in the tables in the hopes that walking across it will help a little to keep nails in check and put a few larger pebbles around the water and feeding areas to help stop the soil/substrate from getting mixed in with the food and water. Lol, reading that back it sounds so complicated! I have put pics of my tables on the 'Indoor enclosures' thread if you want to look - think they are all on the last page (it's a long thread!)
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
TaylorWRP
Incubating

I have took your idea sort of Lisa lol.

I have woodchips below the basking area, soil in the general walk-abouts and burrowing grounds along with hay in each hide. I have also got some readigrass and put it around the water section and where the cuttlebone is. She seems alot happier with this. Shall have a look at your tables Thanks!
Old 23-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Not sure if this is the correct place to post I figured it would of worked very well due to the fact that it is regarding different opinions and also a wide-variety of substrates that work for some and not others.

I currently am using top soil for my tortoise. I have noticed people (also hermann or horsefield keepers) using timothy or meadow hay as a substrate that is short-cut not long-strands (which is used in the hides). My question is:

What substrates are we able to use without causing problems to our tortoise?
i wouldn't recommend hay , it can create mold spore's , it can also damage there eye's if they catch a sharp bit.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #19
EJ
Adult

If kept dry and changed every month or two... hay can make a great substrate. When I hibernate my tortoises I use hay. I also use it for the tortoises that like to be burried. I use bermuda hay which they also nibble on.
and
Old 23-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Pyramiding aside do not not think it is unwise to keep a tortoise in optimal conditions on a table and feed large quantities of food... my understanding is that even a natural, correct, proper diet can be overfed, therefore should be restricted.