Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 20-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #121
EJ
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
There are people who have many years experience raising torts on tables and vivs and on pellets and on weeds and even both, they are all valid ways of doing it. people who can look after their pets (not just torts) will do fine because they do all the research, not just a blinkered view of one way of doing it, people who are not that bothered about caring for their pets will have problems with their pets' health
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #122
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
There are people who have many years experience raising torts on tables and vivs and on pellets and on weeds and even both, they are all valid ways of doing it. people who can look after their pets (not just torts) will do fine because they do all the research, not just a blinkered view of one way of doing it, people who are not that bothered about caring for their pets will have problems with their pets' health
That about sums it up Alan.
I have 22 animals and my vet bill (touch wood) is very small indeed. Research is the key and it's so easy with the net these days, there is no excuse.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #123
EJ
Adult

See... it really hasn't changed... the acceptance of certain information has... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie mark View Post
ive seen a few people mention Viv's now and cant help but notice people mention it this was a swaer word when i was on here the first time. my vet recommeneded a viv for the redfoot and leeopard as you can control the temperature better and also the humidity for the redfoot ?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #124
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
I think many tortoise keepers think torts have to be baking hot all day to function , and it's just not so. In the wild, med torts will experience very low temps in the spring ( march) at night time it can drop as low as 5 degrees, and they will be up and about the next day roaming and grazing, for a few hours.
And this is the way I keep mine, at night the tube heater is set for 5c and the basking lamp comes on through the day, they can come and go in the garden as they please.

Ive done lots of reseach on their natural habitat and you are 100%correct, infact keeping tortes too hot all the time will make them go into estavation mode and they will just sleep all the time. At this time of year they are fine in their coldframe the tube heater never comes on as its set for 5c and the basking lamp is only switched on if the temps are real bad for a few days.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #125
amph55
Egg

Don't know about leps and redfoots but an open top or mesh at the top seems best for my gracia tortoise. Think the exchange of air is more healthy myself and since the sides are high enough no problem with escaping like there would be with other climbing reptiles!