Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 26-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
a11ycat
Egg

Default New from N. Ireland

Hi,
Last week I got a 5 year old Horsefield tortoise called Chester.
He's a gift for my dad (who lives in England, but I'll worry about that later).
My dad confessed to me over a year or two ago that he'd always wanted a tortoise.
I did a lot of research back then, and even started on the Tortoise care course? run online by the Tortoise Protection group, but because of other pressures couldn't finish it, though I hope to start it again next year.
Anyway, I wasn't able to afford to buy my dad a tortoise plus all the other stuff it needs. Anyway this little guy was quite affordable with his tortoise table included (but he really needs a bigger one, but my dad is good at DIY and will be able to build a bigger and better one).
He's been kept reasonably well, though I think on more of a veg diet than weeds. I'm lucky to have a large garden with an abundance of weeds, so that's his main diet now, and my dad also has a large garden and should be able to feed him properly also.
The things I'm mainly concerned about is that up till now he's been kept on shavings and hay, so I'm going to change him over to sand... I bought some 'Play Sand' and 'Tortoise Sand', the tortoise sand was a good bit more expensive, but if it's worth it then it's worth it, is there a difference?
I'm not sure whether he should continue to have the hay or not, as he does eat it... should that be part of his diet?
Also, he has a naked 10.0 UVB strip light on one side of the tortoise table, but it is very low down, and I'm concerned that it could affect his sight as it would be right at his eye level. I'm personally imagining it's the equivalent to having a low sun and no sunglasses i.e. not good. Does anyone have any opinions on how I could better locate it to protect him?
He's getting fed fresh weeds from the garden daily, and I'm giving him a bath twice a week. We let him have a supervised wander on the lawn at the weekend for half an hour which he seemed to enjoy as he settled down to eat first and then did some exploring... He's happy enough to be handled, and let's me know if I've offended him by hissing and withdrawing into his shell, but generally he seems happy, so I'm just learning the boundaries.
Any advice gratefully appreciated!
a11ycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
TortBabe
Adult

Hi allycat and welcome! You have come to the right place for advice First of all sand is not the best substrate to use with horsfields, plain topsoil from Homebase or B&Q will be much better for him. Its best to spray daily with water to stop this drying out. You can buy readi-grass off the Shelled Warriors shop that is totally tort-safe and edible.
Old 26-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

......... hello, the entire population of NI is on here now
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Welcome to Shelled Warriors; the best tortoise forum in the world!
Old 26-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Aliza
Juvenile

Hello and welcome!
I may also be an alycat (sort of)
First three letters of my first and second name...
alicat!
Old 26-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Miller07
Hatchling

Hi and WeLcOmE to the forums I'm sure you'll love it here, it's very friendly and helpfull x

Children 0.1.0 (8yrs old)
Husband 1.0.0
Kittens 0.2.0
Tortoise 0.0.2 (THB)

facebook.com/Miller07

Miller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
SeeShell
Adult

A warm welcome to the forum!
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #8
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hello and welcome to Shelled Warriors.

I agree with the replacing sand whetehr it be tortoise or play sand for sterlised topsoil from B&Q, Homebase or garden centres in general.

Sand if eaten can cause gut impactions so sand onl substrates should be avoided.

Your UV tube is ok down low, they need this low down to get any benefit from it as the UV is much lower than that of the sun. The 10.0 tubes need replacing every 12 months as their UV properties degrade over this period even though the light still works.

Have you got a basking lamp too? An ordinary spot bulb will suffice to create a hot spot in the enclosure of around 30 degrees c.

Your tortoise does need to have a part of the table where it can cool down too if required which would be ambient temps of around 20 degrees c.

Outdoors in the garden is the best place for your tortoise this time of year, even on cloudy days mine go out after they have warmed up in the morning in their table enclosure.
You can leave your tortoise out longer than 1/2 an hour if you want, its not too cold yet.

I hope this helps answer a few of your questions.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Welcome to the forum

Danny
Old 27-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
linda
Adult

hi a big warm welcome from me
linda is offline   Reply With Quote