Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #1
christina

Default Does Munch have the cold? (Quite Urgent)

I'm due to go on holiday tomorrow night (Sunday night) but have noticed, with perfect timing, my spur thigh tortoise doesn't seem too well.

Her eyes/nose are a little watery, she keeps opening her mouth like she's yawning and her breathing sounds odd (making chirping like noises) but she seems in fine spirits otherwise and is eating fine.

I posted a few weeks ago and from the advice here we've recently got rid of the vivarium and got a larger open air tank with a topsoil/play sand mix. She was also being over fed on pellets which we have replaced with a lesser amount of foliage, so there's been a lot of changes for her.

My main concern is we are leaving her with my parents when we go away tomorrow and not sure if she needs to be taken to a vet - that's also an issue as the only time we took her to a vet (to see about getting nails cut) he was clueless!
If she needs to go to a vet is there any specific points that should be raised or anything to ask for (I'd read a little about other tortoises getting colds and requiring anti-biotics).

Thanks in advance,
Christina
Old 15-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
tortoise_dude

It sounds like Upper respitory problems or Runny nose syndrome....
When your parents take him to the vets, the vets SHOULD give an injection a course of baytrill. I have never dealt with this, so it may not be 100% correct, your best waiting for someone else to come in.
Josh
Old 16-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Dazza
Adult

where abouts in the country are you ?

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
christina

Thanks Josh.

Hi Darren, I'm in Glasgow.
Old 16-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
christina

Just reading about RNS - it's occurred to me that our flat has been quite damp recently and I wonder if that's what's caused this. Also, with the new soil/sand mix I'm thinking this may retain a lot of moisture - are we better using a different substrate for a while?
Old 16-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
sandy
Adult

Hi Christina

I would suggest that untill your tortoise gets to a vet, you keep him/her as warm as you can.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
imported_Lowe
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to imported_Lowe

Could be a possible case of RNS (Runny Nose Syndrome) indeed. Like Sandy says, get the temps up to keep him as warm as possible, but be careful not to dehydrate him in this weather.

How big is your tort? If they're fairly big, if you pick them up and gently push on the fleshy part of their chin it forces a little bit of air out of the nares (nostrils). If there is any mucus from the RNS you'll see it come out the nares.

The vet may well prescribe an injection of antibiotics but this isn't always the most effective means of administering it. Putting a drop of Baytril covering the nares of the tortoise (which will suck it in as it breathes) gives a direct flushing of the airway and can be far more effective. Obviously go with whatever your vet advises though.

RNS is a serious condition, but if caught early (which is looks like you have) then vets attention will have it sorted quick smart. The only thing to note, is RNS can never be cured - once a tortoise has the condition it has it for life though it will probably only show when the tortoise is run down or stressed (it's a Herpes type virus if memory serves).
imported_Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
christina

Thanks Sandy and Lowe!
Do you think I should change the substrate in the hutch to newspaper until she is better?

Thanks again,
Christina
Old 16-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Hi Christina

It does sound like all the changes may well have brought on stress, which in turn can help
cause RNS. Another change might make it worse. So if he/she were mine, I would concentrate
on keeping him warm and hydrated.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
piglet
Adult

I agree with Sandy plus a visit to a vet with experience treating tortoises with RNS in particular

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote